What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I cleaned out that closet everyone has and doesn't want to look at. It was a great thing. This is one thing we found. That isn't all of it. We counted the cash (mostly ones) and quarters. Over $80. It was in one of those school candy fund raising boxes. My older daughter didn't remember it at all. It was from 1999 when she was a sophomore in High school. It did pay for a nice dinner for my wife and I. Then we went to Menopause the Musical. It was a hot. Thankfully we are past all of that.

So, somebody didn't get their candy. Ha.

Finally brewing another batch of Coconut IPA. Good stuff. I've been busy or the weather hasn't been very cooperative. Today about 20* and a few snow showers.

Past menopause, hot plays, or kids doing fundraising?::

past menopause, past hot flashes, past kids doing fund raising. Will go to more plays.

I think if woman of a certain age had written that, it would have been a Freudian slip!

dang cell phones. It was quite a hoot.

So, somebody didn't get their candy. Ha.

It wasn't that someone didn't get their candy, it was that the daughter didn't add the money to whatever trip this was for. As I recall we paid something like $0.50/candy bar up front, sold for $1.00 and kept the proceeds.

A friend sent me a text Friday night, asking if I wanted to go see the Marcus King Band on Sunday downtown. I'd never heard of them before, but certainly trust my friend's taste in music. But I thought: "Downtown DC? On a 'school night'? When there's snow in the forecast? Yeah, I'm totally in!". So glad I went. These guys kicked butt. We had a great table, right at the front of the balcony. Good food, relaxing to some great music, and enjoying a couple cold ones. Good times.

Went out to check and taste test my Sopressata. I have over 200 lbs hanging in my garage right now and looking good!

Racked and bottled some of my Orchard Breeze ,Pomegranate Wild berry Wave kit. Still bulk aging a 3 gal carboy,
1 four liter jug. Just turned 6 months old.

Bill

Last edited:
Found an old book that is dear to my heart, Brewing Lager Beer by Greg Noonan. It is what inspired me to not only make my first lager, but to make my first all grain batch back around 1992 or so (started extract brewing in May of 1990). Working on a Bohemian type Pilsner recipe and realized that I needed soft mash water or my bitterness would become too harsh, so got the RO system up and running and will stay up until I get the 6 or so gallons necessary to brew tomorrow morning. Of course having two Corny kegs with beer in the garage helps the wait go quicker. BTW, Steve, nice summer house, I think it is bigger than my year round house!

Nice weekend place Steve, I'm guessing there is view from that deck?

Today, after 3 hours plowing, I bottled the 2016 Riesling. I listened to a pod cast from a Riesling winemaker that advocated early bottling to preserve the aromatics. Anyway, we'll see. But, it was a lovely afternoon. Then the sun came out and my wife and I enjoyed a glass of our 2012 merlot on the deck:h

Returned from a ski trip today to find sunny skies and temps in the mid 60's. A far cry from Canaan Valley, WV, less than 3 hours from here. They had 3 feet of snow in the last ten days. Bluebird weather Friday and Saturday with temps in the high 20's and low 30's. Yesterday was cloudy with snow showers and upper 30's for temps. Pretty nice weather, actually. Pulling back up to the house last night we almost had a tragedy. Long, steep driveway covered in snow and ice. We got to the top and I decided to turn the car around and back in to make this morning's departure a little easier. Wife got out to guide me. As I slowly swung the car around, I started sliding back down the driveway, toward the left side which ended with a steep dropoff of about 15 feet. I managed to get the car stopped just as the front driver side tire was teetering on the edge. Even in 4WD, couldn't get the car to move and felt like I might go at any second. Asked the wife to run upstairs and get the other guys, while I instructed the kids to slowly get out on the passenger side and very gently close the door. My friends got down a few seconds later and we thought if they pushed slightly from the downhill side, it would be enough for me to get traction and pull myself back up to where I wanted to park. As soon as I started, was able to get a foot or two back onto the drive and started sliding again. As I was bracing to slide down the hill and into the woods, I somehow came to a stop about 15 feet further down the driveway, but no further over the edge. My friends wedged some wood under the tires and I carefully got out of the car and called the local tow company. They came by and winched the car out - almost pulling the tow truck down the driveway in the process. Once it was safe, one of the guys expertly drove it down to a 90 degree bend in the driveway where there was a lot of cleared space and gravel for good traction. That's where it stayed until we left this morning. Loading up was a little tiring - I had to walk about 50 yards down hill, then back up to the house after each load. But we fortunately made it back down the mountain and home with no bodily or property damage. Had a great time, but was VERY glad when I was able to lock that car and leave it for the night. That first glass of wine last night was one of the most enjoyable I've ever had. :)

Looking forward to the weekend. Wifey and I decided last night that we'll celebrate Valentines Day on Sunday by going down to the new MGM in National Harbor to see Sebastian Maniscalco. Funny guy.

Apparently, those marketing emails from Ticketmaster really work. :)

[ame]https://vimeo.com/150434291[/ame]

So, we went down to the new MGM at National Harbor last night to see Sebastian Maniscalco. This was sort of a last minute call for us and all the restaurants on the property were pretty booked up. We figured we'd just head on down and see if we could get a walk-in table - no such luck. One of the hosts we spoke to said when there's a show, they tend to be booked 1-2 weeks in advance. Lesson learned for next time we go. Very nice property though and for us, super easy to get to - especially on a Sunday evening. We ended up in their 'food court' (for lack of a better term) where they have a Shake Shack, and several other places including a seafood place, pizza, tacos, deli, and yes, fried chicken and donuts. We opted for a few slices of pizza and I grabbed some Cline Zinfandel to wash it down.

Then we went to the show - it was absolutely hysterical. Highly recommend going to see him if you have a chance.

Have the day off (forced to, our Bldg at work has no electric from 5 am to 5 pm, so took a vacation day (lot's of arm twisting)). After the kids were safely on the bus, headed up to the local Giant to get some raw materials for a day of cooking. Planning on Chicken Parm for tonight as an early Valentines day dinner for my wife since she has class tomorrow and I'll see her for 10 minutes before she goes to work and maybe 0 minutes after. Did a batch of Fried rice for lunch (left over rice from last nights pork tenderloin and pineapple dinner), a loaf of whole wheat bread for my daughter, a loaf of Italian for galic bread with the meal, and just coated and wrapped up a Beef bottom round roast that I will put in the crockpot tomorrow morning so my oldest Son can make dinner tomorrow night without too much effort (which usually isn't much for an 18 yr old, he may starve when he leaves the coop if he doesn't go into the Air Force as planned).

Hoping to get to some wine related tasks this afternoon, I did clean a case of bottles this morning. I have many carboys that are approaching the 3 month since racking time frame so might start working on that since I have free reign of the kitchen. Have a bottle of Chilean Merlot blend from May 2015 decanting for this afternoon/evenings drinking pleasure.

Latest posts

Back