What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last day at work and feeling bittersweet. This was a job that I liked and was given the freedom to do as I please and the plant managers really appreciated my work. But, it's off to bigger and better (with a 50% pay increase), so that will hopefully get me closer to my goal of being a winery operator.

Good luck, are you starting into that on Monday or are you taking a few days in between jobs? I too will be switching jobs soon. There is a lot of uncertaintly as to the structure of our current department. I was told that if an opportunity arose it may be wise to apply. Unfortunately, my move is a lateral move with no pay increase. The good thing is the only thing that really changes is who I report to. I won't be changing locations in the immediate future and my new boss will be my old boss before my current boss. Oh he makes wine also.

Last edited:
I am down in ABQ attending the 32nd annual New Mexico Vine & Wine Conference. Fixing to start an afternoon of talks on Wine Faults, Identification followed by Wine Faults, Prevention and Removal. Good stuff.

Went out to shovel 5" of snow off of the driveway this morning and of course the snow blower only ran for five minutes before it died. Finished up, came inside to get warm, looked out the window and the snow plow hit my mailbox, knocking it off of its post. Could have been worse, could have taken the post and all. Put it back and now back inside trying to get warm again........only 26 days until spring!

Mixed up a gallon blend of 50% Niagra, 25% Concord and 25% Fredonia. It's modeled after the Thirsty Elephant from 21Brix. I back sweetened to 1.010 which I believe is less sweet than theirs. The Fredonia is coming through nicely with hints of Niagra. I think this will be a winner. I have enough Concord and Niagra left to mix up a nice blend between the 2 of them from my starting wines.

I am down in ABQ attending the 32nd annual New Mexico Vine & Wine Conference. Fixing to start an afternoon of talks on Wine Faults, Identification followed by Wine Faults, Prevention and Removal. Good stuff.

Who else, other than I, thinks that Mike needs to publish a technical paper for the forum on these subjects? Let's see a show of hands. That's a majority. Go for it Mike! :)

Mike, thats a great course. I took two days of it at Penn State last month.

Just spent the better part of the afternoon smelling some NASTY stuff! Wine faults at different levels. Ethyl acetate, TCA etc. My nose is shot for the day! LOL

Drinking a glass of concord/cranberry. It's nine months old and wow is this good.

I will expect a full report on my desk by Monday morning. That sounds like good stuff. I will try to make the next one at Penn State.

Dan, bob told me that you got the wine fault kit for registering for the PSU class. Is that correct?

Bummer, just found out that a good friend has passed away...RIP Deb Sundstrom....you won't be forgotten.

I checked out the competition last night with a nice Freedonia from Raspberry Acres. A very nice wine, except that I had a half teaspoon of diamonds that ended up in my last glass. Haven't they heard of cold stabilizing??

Off to my FIL's birthday dinner, then to play some poker. Work tomorrow in DC...

Dan, bob told me that you got the wine fault kit for registering for the PSU class. Is that correct?

Bill, that was a one time thing. They got a grant of some kind that allowed them to do that. There is actually two companies that sell them and I bought the cheaper one right after Christmas. So it was a nice surprise to get the larger and better kit for free. I'm actually doing a workshop this week for our employees talking and tasting all the blends i've been working on the last several weeks and will also touch a bit on wine faults.

Bummer, just found out that a good friend has passed away...RIP Deb Sundstrom....you won't be forgotten.

I'm sorry about your friend, Tom. That sucks. Let me share a (slightly) related story...

My father abandoned my mother, my brother & sister, and I in 1974 (I was 11yo), never to be seen again. Well, actually, through some research and some family ties, I located him in Kennewick, Washington in 2003. He was on his third wife/family, and did not seem interested in maintaining contact with Family #1. We lost contact again.

I just learned the other day that he had died in 2007. Six years ago! At the age of 68. Felt odd, and a little sad about it. I always knew I would find out he died sometime after the fact.

The funny part came when I told the fire chief about it. In our union contract, we are entitled to a Bereavement Day to mourn a dead parent. The chief decided that the statute of limitations had run out on my father's death some time ago.

It's not my fault he left 40 years ago and nobody told me he died six years ago! :)I want my paid day off!!! :po

Last edited:
Thanks guys, she dies a very tragic death, just really out of place for such a happy person.
I appreciate it guys and gals.

Back