What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was skeptical at first, as a matter of fact I was on the ropes about it even as of a few days ago, now don't get me wrong, it has just about every bell and whistle, I just kept on thinking...."I could write this all on paper and do the same thing..."...fact of the matter is, I've tried this way, it doesn't work for me, I need the discipline of a program to punch in all the info. I didn't know if I would even keep track of all the info for 10 batches of wine at once, but I am glad I did, I was able to replicate the Amarone Recipe to the "T", and to me, that is worth it right there.
I know when I did something, how I did something, and hopefully, if I took notes, why I did something.
The recipe that I gave you was copied from my recipe and method from brew trax, would I have remembered that I added 4 cinnamon sticks instead of two, or that I added a certain amount of oak and how long I left them in? Probably not.
But, it is only as good as the data that you enter.
I like it,
Tom

If I indeed get it and they ask for a review, I'll mention your name as a deciding factor! :D Currently, I have a notebook that I am keeping everything in and it is getting monotonous. As soon as I upgrade our computer, I'll probably get Brew Trax as well. Thanks again buddy!!!!

Had a busy day with my 5 y/o. Started by putting the trimwork on my stair risors. We then had a meeting with the Borough Secretary to review the final budget numbers for the Borough. Went and picked up a few 6 gallon carboys then headed to Build a Bear Workshop. While at the mall I picked up 2 bottles of wine from Deer Creek Winery (Red raspberry and apple) then went to the park for an hour. I need a day off to recover from my day off.

Just got my Chromatography Kit in, testing 4 different wines, as soon as this paper is ready and out of the container, the next one with 2 more wines goes in.

It's Official! 4 different batches of wine are confirmed Done with Malolactic Fermentation!
I love it when something goes as planned...lol....MUHAHAHAHHAHAHA!
2 more batches are being tested, the Chromatography paper is in that nasty smelling solution as we speak, tomorrow morning I'll hang it to dry with a fan on it, takes about 2 -3 hrs to see the results with a fan on it.

Chromatography.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent!!! I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds like is a good thing! :D

LOL...yep, it's one of the definitive ways (if that's even possible) to be sure where you are at with Malolactic Fermentation.
Did I mention...CONGRATS on the Gold Medal!!!!!

Thanks Tom!!!!! What is malolactic fermentation? I haven't done any research on it yet and I won't have time to this week.

Malolactic fermentation is the process of taking the harsh Malic acid and converting it to a softer lactic acid.
Malic acid is a very tart acid commonly found in a Granny Smith apple, (ever hear people refer to their wines as having a green apple tartness? That is Malic acid).
Lactic acid is the acid found in dairy products (that shows up as "buttery" in a Chardonnay that has undergone malolactic fermentation).
By converting Malic acid to lactic acid, you end up with a wine that is more approachable and less abrasive on the palate.
It balances it out and really takes the "tart" out of red wines, and a few whites, not all whites should be put through Malolactic fermentation.

Stuck in Parkersburg for the night after solving a problem at the steel mill. I'll get some face time in WV tomorrow, then trek home and see if the GPS points out any wineries to visit...

Good Luck in WV, the past two times we went through with NY plates...well....let's say that the stereo type of not being too fond of NY'ers in the hills is not something you just see on TV...or was it the fact that I am very large Italian guy?

Malolactic fermentation is the process of taking the harsh Malic acid and converting it to a softer lactic acid.
Malic acid is a very tart acid commonly found in a Granny Smith apple, (ever hear people refer to their wines as having a green apple tartness? That is Malic acid).
Lactic acid is the acid found in dairy products (that shows up as "buttery" in a Chardonnay that has undergone malolactic fermentation).
By converting Malic acid to lactic acid, you end up with a wine that is more approachable and less abrasive on the palate.
It balances it out and really takes the "tart" out of red wines, and a few whites, not all whites should be put through Malolactic fermentation.

Thanks Tom!!!! I haven't been at this for a very long time yet and am still learning. I'm sure that I'll have plenty more questions like that one. LOL

however, with a MLF, unless you are going to let the wine sit for 4 years, MLF is really not worth doing. The wine definately gets better with age, but waiting 4 years is torture in my opinion.

I racked the Petit Syrah and Cab Merlot into carboys and backsweetened and stabilized the Pineapple Pear Pinot Grigio. Plus sanitizing buckets and the new carboys. Hopefully I can get the Carmel Apple wine started and the Skeeter Pee put into the demijohn before the plant outage in Delaware. If not, that gives me something to do over Christmas vacation....

No disrespect, but I've never heard of having to let a wine sit for 4 yes after putting it through MLF?
My wine is so much better, acidity wise, after MLF.
I have to respectfully disagree with having to let the wine age any more than normal after MLF.

I had heard something similar regarding MLF. I'm not sure who it was I heard it from but it was something along the line of it is better to let age longer with the MLF to realize the full effect. I did an MLF on a chianti and a cab franc 2 1/2 years ago. Yes you could taste the difference although I can't say for certain it helped anything.

Maybe somene with more experience could chime in on the subject.

Is MLF done mainly with grape based wines, or is it beneficial to do on fuit or veggies wines as well?

Latest posts

Back