What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought so, I'm active there and Wade is a Moderator there also..

What I've been doing today would make a wonderful gag video for YouTube. :pic
Yesterday, I finally got brave and used my big meat grinder to pulverize 15 pounds of apples. Ran them into a bag, added some pectic enzyme, and let it sit over night. Instant 2 qts of juice! Yea!!!
I put the bag in a perforated stainless steel hopper, inserted the tamper for pressing, and started pressing more juice out. Apparently a real apple press exerts 2+ tons of pressure for a reason. The apple mash laughed at my mere 200 pounds. Got about 2 more pints of juice out. Booo!!!
What to do? I strung the bag up by its heels from a ceiling hook to let it drip like a jelly sack. Almost another 2 pints! Yea!!!
It stopped dripping in about 10 minutes. Booo!!!
Transfered the whole mess into a more porous bag. Juice started flowing again! Yea!!!
After about two hours, no more dripping. The mash was still 50% juice. Booo!!!
I tried twisting and squeezing the bag. LOTS more juice in the bucket! Yea!!!
My hands and arms gave out. Booo!!!
Called my 6'5" son for assistance. We grabbed each end of the bag and twisted in opposite directions. Another pint! Yea!!!
Both our hands and arms gave out. Booo!!!
So...for the past three hours, I've been revisiting the bag, kneading it like a sock full of soggy bread dough, and getting about 4 oz of juice out with each squeezing. <Whew> At this point, I have about 1 gallon of juice out of 15 pounds of apples. :(

There is a EASIER way!
Cut and core Freeze them.
Add to a bucket with a straining bag and place some boiling water over them
Once thawed add Pectic Enzyme
Sugar to 1.085 and nutrient and k-meta
add yeast 24 hours later
Away we GOOooo.....

Better yet get a STEAMER JUICER = Problem solved ! :slp

There is a EASIER way!
Cut and core Freeze them.
Add to a bucket with a straining bag and place some boiling water over them
Once thawed add Pectic Enzyme
Sugar to 1.085 and nutrient and k-meta
add yeast 24 hours later
Away we GOOooo.....
Oh...I forgot Episode 1 of this saga.
I started with a test batch of about 5 pounds. I'd read Luc's experiment with freezing to soften. He had used both cut, and whole apples. Mine were whole.
I put them in a 0 F freezer over night. Took them out in the morning, and let them thaw most of the day. About 1/3 of them were nice and crisp and ready for eating! Grrrr...
So...I took them, added another 5 pounds to the batch, cut them up and put them outside in 28 degree weather for 2 nights. By now, they were a light golden brown (from oxidation) and the ones on top were fairly soft. The ones on the bottom were still table fare. Grrrrr....
Broke out the grinder.... Now you know "the rest of the story".

P.S. I'm not planning to add any sugar. I'm at SG 1.045 right now, and I'm shooting for cider, not wine.

Better yet get a STEAMER JUICER = Problem solved ! :slp
Yeah, if I could afford one! :)
I still have 75 pounds of impatient apples in crates. This weekend I'm making a press out of an old bench vise screw and some 2x4s. I'll post pictures of the abortion when it's done.

Oh...I forgot Episode 1 of this saga.
I started with a test batch of about 5 pounds. I'd read Luc's experiment with freezing to soften. He had used both cut, and whole apples. Mine were whole.
I put them in a 0 F freezer over night. Took them out in the morning, and let them thaw most of the day. About 1/3 of them were nice and crisp and ready for eating! Grrrr...
So...I took them, added another 5 pounds to the batch, cut them up and put them outside in 28 degree weather for 2 nights. By now, they were a light golden brown (from oxidation) and the ones on top were fairly soft. The ones on the bottom were still table fare. Grrrrr....
Broke out the grinder.... Now you know "the rest of the story".

P.S. I'm not planning to add any sugar. I'm at SG 1.045 right now, and I'm shooting for cider, not wine.

Oh my another Paul Harvey ! :h

Yeah, if I could afford one! :)
I still have 75 pounds of impatient apples in crates. This weekend I'm making a press out of an old bench vise screw and some 2x4s. I'll post pictures of the abortion when it's done.

Start saving up! It's well worth it. I think they start arount $125 ish

Start saving up! It's well worth it. I think they start arount $125 ish
Better plan: Put a 1 gallon unused paint bucket in the bottom of my turkey fryer, load the hopper with apples, fill the fry bucket with water up to the top of the paint can, and put the lid on. :sh

Hey! This is Montana. We don't need no stinkin' fancy pantsy kitchen gadget! :)

well one thing I can do is to save the steamed juice to when I can make the wine. Problem is with all the carboys I have all are filled during "FRUIT" season.

Today I racked Gewurztraminer and Washington Valley Riesling and bottled Calypso Bianco.

Dec122009.jpg

and now everybody is dressed to rest for awhile :h

Dec132009.jpg

I'm trying to finish up my practicum journal for my last viticulture class I took this season (turn in deadline is the 15th). And more importantly I finally saved up enough money to order a new PH meter!!!! I just got done with the on line order over at the more wine website. :h

Relaxing after a long drive back from the Hot Springs. Spent the last two days soaking in the mineral springs, and learning a lot from a master cider maker. :sm

have just found 6 gallons of grapefruit wine in the back of the barn.. thought I'd bottled it all.. apparently not!

sorting out the bottle situation today.

Allie

Latest posts

Back