What kind of grape conc should I add to these 3 berry wines: raspb, blueberry & blk

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerngal

Reaction score
I'm planning three different wines; blueberry, blackberry and raspberry. What kind of grape concentrate should I add for each? Does it matter? I would prefer to use winemaking grape concentrates but if you genuinely can't tell the difference, should I use Welch's? For the blueberry wine I am planning to use fresh/frozen blueberries and blueberry juice, but should I also use some grape for body?

Thank you!
Jenn

Last edited:
Jenn, for my Blueberry & Blackberry wines I use a Cabernet concentrate from the Home Winery Supply to either enhance the fermentation or back sweeten the wine. Have used ratios from 4-2, 5-1, to just a splash of Cab. We liked them all. Roy

Raspberry - Merlot
Blueberry - Pinot Noir
Blackberry - Cab, Zin, Syrah... almost any strong red would work.

Its all personal preference at this point, the art of winemaking is where you are at.

You can also make them as straight wines. They really don't need any concentrates. On the raspberry and blueberry, just use a standard recipe for them as they need to have the water addition so the wine has good flavor.

On the blackberry, use about 6 pounds per gallon if you want a lighter wine. If you want big flavor, do them with no water if you have lots of berries. Use 71B yeast on it to reduce the harshness of the malic.

Latest posts

Back