What do I need to do to help my peach wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
On 8/7 I made 5 gal of peach wine from pure juice. When I started the wine I had a high SG of 1.100. On 8/14 I had a SG of .990. I racked it on 8/18 and topped up with peach wine. I racked it again on 8/27. On 11/11 I added 1/8 tsp of K-Meta. My problem is that the wine has a beautiful peach color but the wind is not clear. As I mentioned it is a good color but it is not as clear as I think it should be. Any help from experienced folks would be appreciated. I want help this wine clear if at all possible. Should peach be as clear as, let's say, a bronze scuppernong wine?

Peach wines do tack a while to clear. Get the temp up to about 75 and degass it - this will help to clear it.

I would also suggest adding some pectic enzymes in it - this will also help to clear any pectin haze associated with peaches.

If in time it does not clear - hit it with a round of super kleer..

Peach wines do tack a while to clear. Get the temp up to about 75 and degass it - this will help to clear it.

I would also suggest adding some pectic enzymes in it - this will also help to clear any pectin haze associated with peaches.

If in time it does not clear - hit it with a round of super kleer..

Jon, How much pectin enzyme would you add to 5 gal??

On the pectic enzyme, it will not hurt to use more than the minimum. I have seen fruit recipes use as much as 2 tsp/gallon.

You might also consider stirring in bentonite or using Super Kleer or one of the other clarifiers to speed things along. But what has been said is correct - all things happen in their time!

My peach started in early July is still clearing. It's been slow, but is getting close now. I haven't used clearing agents. One thing I've noticed is that the quart or so I've got in the fridge in a mason jar has cleared completely. I think I might cold stabilize the whole batch.

The problem with peach is not only the bulk of pulp from the fruit, but peach can be plagued with pectin haze. Bentonite does a great job of eliminating pectin haze. You can add it to the secondary if you have bad clearing issues. Follow the directions and don't over-dose.

In the future, you should always bentonite your primary when using big,pulpy fruits and then you won't have the clearing issues later on.

Latest posts

Back