What are you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooking and cleaning and setting up tables and chairs forThanksgiving Day. We'll have neighbors, cousins, children, and friends.Friends andcoworkers we know who can't make it to thier own family festivities arealwasys invited. Probably have a smaller group this year, around 16 -18.

Family, Friends, Food, Floats and Football, so much to be thankful for. Oh yes and Fermentation! Blessings to all of you.

Been cleaning since I got home from work yesterday. We have really been slacking on some of this and it shows. All the baseboards were pretty nasty along with door frames. I have to say those magic erasers are the bomb at cleaning walls where the kids have left lots of finger prints and also where the cats rub on the corner and leave their oily dark spot after awhile.

The Missus and I are staying home since I worked last night. I fired up the smoker and we are smoking a turkey with some pecan chunks. SWMBO brined it for the last 24 hours and then took it out and rubbed it with her special rub (she wouldn't tell me what was in it other than Mayo). Should make for an interesting Turkey Day. Got a bottle from Bob last month of Mulberry and I think we will be having that with the main course and sipping on some of my 2009 cranberry wine before and after as well..........

Watching the temp of the turkey and smoker from inside with my new remote thermometer. 118 F and 227 F respectively as I post this

Couldn't nap. Opened Fivebk's bottle and sippin and tasting. Waiting for the bird. Its at 150 now.

Just got done racking about 26 gallons of wine and bottled -6 gal Traminette,
7 gal Niagara & 7 gal Concord blended but no name for it yet and also RJS CranApple Chardonnay. They all tasted awesome! Taking a break then back to the dungeon to clean up. About 127 bottles total.

runningwolf said:
Just got done racking about 26 gallons of wine and bottled -6 gal Traminette,
7 gal Niagara & 7 gal Concord blended but no name for it yet and also RJS CranApple Chardonnay. They all tasted awesome! Taking a break then back to the dungeon to clean up. About 127 bottles total.

Nice
smiley4.gif

I was just attacking my dog with one of those Airhog Mini Helicopters. What a freaking blast! For $20 these things are fun.

LOL! I do the same thing to my cats! As soon as they hear that thing now, they go into attack mode.

I cracked a split on my MM Renaissance Rio Grande Rojo tonight.

WoW! This guy is gonna be awesome. Only 13 months old at the moment but geeze louise.......

Amazing nose right off the bat. This blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Carmenère has the texture of melted chocolate and ripe flavors of fig and blueberry. The finish has a wonderful spice that only comes from a Chilean blend.

Can't wait for this guy to hit 18mo and then 2 yrs.

Definitely one of the better Renaissance kits.

Racked (and tasted) 6 gallons of RJS, Sicilian Trappani Shira. It was extremely clear and quite tasty, not much chemical smell thank goodness.
removed the old oak stave and added a new one. Going to bottle this one on St. Joseph's Day 2011, Italian-American you know.

Also racked (and tasted) MM Megoli Amarone that I started last spring. Yummy! Thick and rich, just off crystal clear. Added some K-meta and going to let it sit another three months then bottle. Mabye I'll bottle this one on St. Patties Day . . . NOT.

Removed the GrapeSkins pack (after squeezing the daylights out of it) from the RJS Valpolicella Ripassa that I started 5 days ago. I left the oak tea bags in until I rack mid next week. SG is down to 1.007 already. this one is coming along nicely.

Thanks to all of you for your help with all of these. And Merry Christmas and other appropriate holiday greetings to you all.

Last night i pulled out my big tub of used bottles and scraped the lables off with a razor.. got about 2 cases done. 6 moe to go of my current supply... I may just order a pallet of fresh empty bottles. Save my hands a bit haha.
Tomorrow morning I hope to scrub out the insides of the bottles and sanitize them, Will then let them sit upside down in boxes to drain then have close to 35 gallons to bottle.

Racked and stabilized 6 gallons Apple wine

Racked and stabilized 3 Gallons Apricot wine

Racked and stabilized 3 Gallons Apricot Port.....

Much more work coming up. I have alot of wine ready for attention... Bottling, F-Packs, Sweetening, fortifying, Filtering, ect, ect.

The Apricot port sounds like a real winner! Maybe thats because Im sitting here drinking some Apricot Pale Ale!!!!!!

It is actually snowing in Southeastern Virginia! So far we have 16 inches on the ground and it hasn't let up. Today was the perfect day to make some wine!

Today we racked a mead and started two kits: a RJ Winery Series Super Tuscan and a MM VN Bourg Royal White.
smiley27.gif

We are getting slammed with snow right now. Had to shovel for the first time in eight years as the rope for the pull start broke on then blower! Started first pull no problem but brought it around through the yard to the front and then decided to do the cars first so shut it off and when I went to start it the rope just broke right off. Thats most likely from sitting in my damp shed all year round. The way that they build these pull starters now really blows as I couldnt even fix it which I am usually very good at! But Im sure thats exactly why they built that this way cause they dont want us fixing things anymore!!!!!
smiley7.gif
smiley35.gif
Its 6 years old and this is the only problem its ever given me.

Wade said:
We are getting slammed with snow right now. Had to shovel for the first time in eight years as the rope for the pull start broke on then blower! Started first pull no problem but brought it around through the yard to the front and then decided to do the cars first so shut it off and when I went to start it the rope just broke right off. Thats most likely from sitting in my damp shed all year round. The way that they build these pull starters now really blows as I couldnt even fix it which I am usually very good at! But Im sure thats exactly why they built that this way cause they dont want us fixing things anymore!!!!!
smiley7.gif
smiley35.gif
Its 6 years old and this is the only problem its ever given me.

How did your back hole up from the shoveling?

It was fine yesterday but paying for it today. I have to pick the part up tomorrow for the blower, $12.75 even after they assemble the spring that I took apart trying to fix it. Thats pretty awesome.

Back