Welch's Grape Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannew

Reaction score
Does the Welch's grape juice add any flavor or just increase the alcohol content? What does the white juice do?

Sure! I think so.

LMAO so Troy what exactly do you think? :fsh

Welches will add flavor only, not alcohol if this is post fermentation. Before fermentation there is not that much sugar in it to make a difference and you would still have to add some sugar if you need to up your sg reading.

Last edited:
Well. after careful consideration, I conclude that just addng alcohol to grape juice will certainly work.

I all seriousness Welchs, grape juice will indeed make a nice wine. Many beginers have made their first wine using this and it WILL actually make a decent wine.

It should be noted however, to mix these juices up to drink, they typically call to add3 cans of water to the juice. When making wine with these frozen concentrates, you will want to add alot more juice to the ratio.

For example, a 12 oz. frozen juice, plus 3 cans of water will make you 48 oz of juice.

Fine if you want a glass with your toast. But for wine making you will want to increase this. I think most of us generally agree to start with 3 cans of frozen juice, and add enough water to make one gallon.

Quite frankly start with 4 cans, and add enough water to make 1 gallon. THEN add sugar to the desired sg.

ANY fruit juice will make wine. There have been many threads about using frozen juice concentrate. I have made many myself. Wine and threads. LOL.

When using these, you really want to use 100% juice and look out for preservatives in the ingredients.

I am not going to go on and on about this.

However, having said this, no matter what juice you start with you will need to add sugar to achieve an initial desired SG.

The yeast eats the sugar and converts it to alcohol.

In conclusion, white grape juice is a great "base" for other wines.

For example, if you were to make dandelion wine, the addition of white grape juice could add some body to it without altering the flavor of the main ingredient to much.

So yeah. Huh? Sure!

Last edited:
Guess my question wasn't clear. If you added some frozen or bottled Welch's grape juice to a "Wine Kit" say of Cab Sav, before the yeast, would it help to increase the alcohol, and would it also add some flavor?

Thanks

Last edited:
Cannew, I assume you are taking about grape juice concentrate but I am not sure if you mean you would re-constitute it first or just add the concentrate. In either case, if adding to the wine kit increases the SG, then it would increase the eventual ABV. The only caution I would advance is that the Welch's products are mostly Concord grapes. Would you realy want the flavor of Concord grape in your Cabernet Sauvignon?

Rocky:

I was going to mix the frozen with water or try the bottled juice. Guess it may be better to just add sugar(mix in water first) to increase the alcohol. For the Summer wines, I was thinking of trying to add some juice to see how it changes the flavor.

Latest posts

Back