Welches Concord Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracked Cork

Reaction score
For some strange reason I have an irresistable impulse to make a deep dark port style wine from Welches Concord concentrate. I dont know what the SG of the concentrate is but I was thinking of having all of the sugar come from the concentrate. Maybe toss in some elderberries for added depth of color, toss in a big handfull of oak powder and EC1118 and let it rip. Anyone make one of these before?

Crackedcork

Sounds like a fun concept. I saw black grapes at the market today. They have tart little seeds in them.
If I could make a 6 gallon batch of port style wine I most certainly would. but with Christmas here, funds are low.

I'd throw a few "nanners" and raisins in the batch too cracked. May just be a good one.

Cracked i have several pounds of elderberries in the freezer would like to make a 3 gallons ofport using them any sugestions perhaps a recipe ?Al

Hey Waldo, a few nanners yes, but instead of raisans we might add some dried elderberries. Crackedcork

Al, got some recipies on my webpage, more like guides instead of recipies. A few pounds of elderberries is going to need some help, like a grape base or even some blackberries to give it some body and acidity. How many pounds of berries have you got?

Crackedcork

Oh Man, the wife just got me a port kit for Christmas! I think we will take that, add 2 gallons of elderberry juice and see what happens.

NEBama, our best port style with just fruit has been a combo of elderberry and blackberry topped off with some black cherry juice, Put as many berries as you can in it, dont ferment longer than 3 days on the skins and seeds so you get a lot of juice but none of the bitterness that comes from the seeds, if you want add some extra dry malt extract, that goes a long way to adding body.

Crackedcork

Its a WineExpert Selection Port, we will probably add some red grape concentrate along with the elderberry juice just so we dont dilute the grape part to much. Crackedcork

Cracked I probabley have 10-15 pounds of blackberries I could use too.What do you think.AL

NEBama, very good, check out my webpage for a good recipie for blackberry and elderberry together, the acid and taste of the blackberries really matches well with the elderberries. Crackedcork

Cracked Cork said:
Oh Man, the wife just got me a port kit for Christmas! I think we will take that, add 2 gallons of elderberry juice and see what happens.

If you have any cracked I would add some Black Currant to the mix too.
smiley4.gif

Oh crap..now im a slobbering !!!

Hi Waldo, I indeed do have about 5 pounds of black currant sitting in the deep freeze waiting to be used for something that needs some acidity. T hanks, Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back