WineXpert WE Selection International amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
Bottled my amarone maybe 3 months ago. Popped the cork on the first bottle tonight. I must say that I'm not impressed so far. Strong alcohol taste and not much flavor. I actually coughed up the cash and bought a bottle of Italian amarone before I got this kit. The stuff from the liquor store was delicious. Probably the best wine I have ever tasted.

I followed directions exactly. No tweaks on this one

?? How long do you guys age this wine before drinking? I know 3 months isn't nearly long enough. But I had to try one

What is your opinion about this kit after longer aging?

Bottled my amarone maybe 3 months ago. Popped the cork on the first bottle tonight. I must say that I'm not impressed so far. Strong alcohol taste and not much flavor. I actually coughed up the cash and bought a bottle of Italian amarone before I got this kit. The stuff from the liquor store was delicious. Probably the best wine I have ever tasted.

I followed directions exactly. No tweaks on this one

?? How long do you guys age this wine before drinking? I know 3 months isn't nearly long enough. But I had to try one

What is your opinion about this kit after longer aging?

A year is what I try to do for reds. It is tough to wait!!
Heather

I have to say, I made this wine on 2-23-13 and bottles 4-20-14. Still not quite impressed with it. Nice anise nose and taste but there is still a bit of a "kit taste" to it nearly two years later. I am still holding out hope that in the next 6-12 months it will come around. No tweaks to it, as compared to my cellar craft amarone which I put through a barrel for 19 weeks and is great at only 15 months. I would have to say the "hot" taste you stated has not been noticeable since after 1 year.

We will never duplicate a seven or eight year old $60.00 plus plus plus bottle of Amarone with $5.00 per bottle kits. Not gonna happen. Especially after three months. I carboy age my Amarone nine months in carboy and three months in barrel. Then I hold my Amarones now for eighteen months to three years after bottling. Im not trying to be smart just want to add perspective.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Are you happy with the results of this kit after proper aging? I understand it's not going to stand up with a $60 bottle of wine.

Last edited:
Yes my favorite efforts have been Amarones. Syrah and Nero D'Avola have done very well also with a bit less waiting.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Are you happy with the results of this kit after proper aging? I understand it's not going to stand up with a $60 bottle of wine.

I was impressed with this kit early on, it was nice and dry with some decent tannins at bottling, but it's 18 months old at this point and still isn't all that great, especially compared to the showcase Amarone which only just hit 12 months.
I'll let it age some more, but I'm not holding out too much hope for it turning into something really good.

I'm blending a California Cab with an Italian Sangiovese, both kits, and so far so good. I haven't permanently bottled the blend yet but I was quite surprised by how fast the Sangio started to come along and by aroma and color the Cab is nearly there. My first wine venture has been a pretty successful one thus far.

Orlando
www.midiancellars.com

Also. Question; I haven't locked in a percentage blend yet for my Cab/Sangio. Any thoughts or ideas? I am thinking 60/40 Cab dominant.

Also. Question; I haven't locked in a percentage blend yet for my Cab/Sangio. Any thoughts or ideas? I am thinking 60/40 Cab dominant.

I would do it 40/60 cab/sangeo because I would rather have more Cabernet to bottle straight and less of the Sangeovese.

Latest posts

Back