WineXpert WE Eclipse Zinfandel - Secondary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cool77

Newbie and learning from this forum
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a beginner and I started my fourth batch 5 days ago, an Eclipse Zinfandel.

Quick question, instruction says to transfer to secondary fermentation after 7 days. My SG is already at 1.010. Should I wait 2 more days like instruction or rack it right now? I want to make sure there is enough flavour transfer from grape skin.

Thank you!

:b

Yves

As long as your wine is protected from contamination, you can certainly leave it. In fact, many (myself included) leave it on the skins until completely dry with no negative impact. Like you, we want to extract as much goodness as possible from the grape pack.

No need to rush it at this point. I would wait the 2 more days to get the most flavor out of the grape pack. That's what I did with my Eclipse Barolo and ended up racking on day 8 when the SG was at .998.

I've actually just racked off the oak cubes of this same kit. I'm committed to following the instructions to the letter to better guide future tweaks of lower end kits. I hope that made sense. One thing I know for sure... If this kit continues in the current direction, good tastings lie ahead.

BC

Latest posts

Back