WineXpert WE Blackberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmulligan

Reaction score
My second WE port and the second one to stop fermenting early :po It finished at 1022.

That is not the reason I am posting today. When I made the WE raspberry chocolate port I didn't have quite enough to put back the port I removed when adding the f-pack. Since my blackberry port nearly filled my carboy I've decided to stabilize today and next weekend I'll rack the port off the sediment and add the f-pack then when there is a lot more room. Is there anything wrong with this approach?

I did the same with a recent WE choc rasp port and all turned out well.

With both those ports, if you need a little something extra to top off, even though WE doesn't call for it, try a little brandy; it smooths it out nicely. :b

My Blackberry port is preferred over my Chocolate Raspberry Port by everyone who has tried them both!

I am about to make my second batch of this fantastic port kit. My first batch was 1 kit, this one is 4. I plan on alternating this kit with the chocolate raspberry port every other year. I also want enough left to age.

Since I am doing 4 kits at once I am wondering what I should do with all of that yeast! I will be ready to pitch the yeast as soon as the must has warmed up a little. Should I really pitch 4 packs of yeast into each of the primaries?

Has anyone else noticed that WineXperts has fixed the problem with their Ports finishing high? They raised the finishing gravity in their instructions. I suppose that is one way to do it.

I made 3 port kits 1 to 1.5 years ago. One WE Chocolate Raspberry, one WE Blackberry, and one WK Chocolate Orange port. Both WE kits finished high, the WK kit went by the numbers. Despite that the WE kits both turned out better than the WK port. I guess what I am saying is that raising the finishing gravity is both amusing and acceptable.

D

I'm going to start the WE Blackberry Port in the next couple of weeks - is it as good as my imagination thinks it is? It's going to be hard to wait the year before drinking...tasting is ok though, right? :n

Latest posts

Back