Water into wine "Miracle Machine"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, sounds pretty BS-ey to me. If they ever get this off the ground, I imagine there will be a few hundred customers drinking poor, thin wine for a few months before they go out of business.

Here are a couple of interesting tidbits from their website. So, it sounds like they are going to aerate the heck out of it to make it palatable.

science.jpg

faqs.jpg

Umm, well I guess it might be drinkable and perhaps it might taste alright, but no.. Fine wine I think not.

I like that they're using a refractometer to measure sugar DURING fermentation.

I think its great! With all that science it has got to work. Only problem for me is that I refuse to own a "smart" phone. ;)

I like that they're using a refractometer to measure sugar DURING fermentation.

You can use those during fermentation, you just have to know what is going on with the system... However, I still do not think it is going to work all that great.

I already have a "Miracle Machine", it is my plastic primary and glass secondary. It is truly amazing and turns water into wine.

I read this the other day and if I understand correctly it said it will make about 1 bottle a week. At 500.00 plus their ingredients it sounds like and awesome deal.... "just pour this 15.00 bottle of wine - I mean - ingredients into the machine and in three days drink away.
It also said the "wine won't last more than a few weeks but that's ok, it's so good it doesn't need any aging.
Mike

You can use those during fermentation, you just have to know what is going on with the system... However, I still do not think it is going to work all that great.

Ah, thanks Seth. I was under the impression that once fermentation started, refractometers were practically useless.

On that note, would you like to purchase some dihydroden monoxide? I will sell it to you for only $150 a cup.

If I were dying of thirst I'd happily pay that much.
smilie.gif

Ah, thanks Seth. I was under the impression that once fermentation started, refractometers were practically useless.

Yeah not quite useless, but I would not use it as my 1st tool. One thing to keep in mind is that Refractometers measure the index of refraction and correlates that to the brix. As we all know this gets all wonky and "useless" once fermentation starts making alcohol.

However, and I am betting this is how their tool works... Is that if you follow the instructions you should always get the same starting Brix and I also bet that the device is designed to always give you the same ending alcohol. Thus, if you know the index of refraction at your preset ending ABV you should also know the ending index of refraction. Thus, the device is able to tell you the fermentation progress based on the index of refraction using an refractometer of an in proccess fermentation.

That is just my guess at what they are doing, but it seemed to make sense to me lol.

On the one hand the idea is not a winner- as someone said this is like using a bread machine to make bread... but on the other that device pretty much does what we all do during primary fermentation except it does what it does under (presumably) very controlled and specific conditions. I pull air into my wine but I have no idea how much. I agitate my wine a couple of times a day but I don't use a transducer. I aim for specific (low) temperatures when I ferment my wines. They seem to be aiming for higher temps to speed up the process. I age my wine 6 - 12 months and these fellows think that a few days of aging in their secret chamber will produce the kinds of flavors and aromas that are desired.. I suspect that they have some way of removing the CO2 to reduce any inhibitory effect of that gas on fermentation. Me, I prefer my wines to ferment slowly. I guess I cannot imagine who might buy this... or why.

If you like the bread that comes out of a machine, I am not going to criticize that, but IMO the better way to make dough is by feel and not by time so I can increase/reduce the flour content or the water in order to produce the dough I am looking for given the day's humidity and temperature. The better way to make bread is to allow the yeast to work on a sponge (of flour and sugar and water) and then later add other ingredients (including additional flour and salt and oil and seeds and grains) that inhibit the action of the yeast. The better way to make bread is to allow moisture in the oven to help cook the crust but unless the bread machine is very large and has sophisticated monitoring systems and controls that moisture remains in too much physical contact with the crust. And of course, a bread machine does not allow you to make bagels or pumpernickel rolls or braided challah. So bread machines bake bread. No question. And the bread they bake is certainly better than mass produced bread..No question. But the bread they bake is at best mediocre

Latest posts

Back