Washington Vineyard Struck by Harvest Thieves!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Washington Vineyard Struck by Harvest Thieves</font>

"An estimated 1.25 tons of Mourvèdre grapes were recently stolen off the vine at Grand Rêve Vineyard in Kirkland, Wash. According to vineyard owner and partner Paul McBride, the theft took place sometime between Sept. 15 and 20, less than two weeks before the grapes were slated to be harvested.

McBride explained to Unfiltered, “James Mantone of Syncline Winery, who was scheduled to receive the fruit, inspected the vineyard on Sept. 21 and noticed that the crop loads were exceptionally light. The vines were found to have been cleanly and completely harvested. The outermost row was left unpicked to mask that the inside fruit had all been taken.” This was Grand Rêve’s first planting of Mourvèdre, a red Rhône variety that’s an unusual sight in Washington’s Red Mountain region, where Cabernet and Syrah dominate.

McBride, who has offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the apprehension of anyone involved in the theft, told MSNBC that the thieves ignored the other grape varieties growing nearby, indicating that the perpetrator could have been a “wine geek—the sort of person who lies in bed at night thinking, ‘I’ve just got to have this vine-grown Mourvèdre.’” Unfiltered has to wonder how well the thieves really know their stuff, however, as they picked the grapes too early.

As vineyard manager and partner Ryan Johnson told KNDO/KNDU, a local NBC affiliate, "If these guys would have waited 10 more days, the flavors would have been more developed, richer, riper, and they would have made a better wine from it. So if you're going to steal my fruit, at least do it at the right time."</font>

runningwolf said:
Bast&amp;#$'s. Sometimes you wonder whats going through peoples minds to do something like this.

If they did it this year, what about next year and why wouldn't they? I'd be guarding these guys well next year, but how can you (afford to) do that.

Something similar happened to my parents' corn crop. The thieves waited until the corn was perfect and picked it the night before my parents went out to pick. Less money of course, but devastating to a retired couple.

Maybe a special alarm system is in order.

I think somehow I would be putting one of these up for next year!

20101005_153322_Screen_shot_201.png

Interesting thing is these were vine grown and not trellis grown. I wonder if that made hiding easier or harder. I bet they did it under the cover of the moon with tiny battery operated head lamps or even night vision goggles!

Mike, you're as bad as me when it comes to wanting toys! I was thinking a few pit bulls in hiding, but I'm liking the combo of both items so we can watch the dogs tear the intruders apart!

If you could keep them in place, I would prefer a bunch of vipers!

Latest posts

Back