RJ Spagnols W.S Carmenere

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaksfan

Reaction score
Making the WS Carmenere kit and swapped out EC-1118 for RC-212 .I rehydrated the yeast with goferm and add fermaid at start and mid point of fermentation, it has stalled at 1.000 for the past week and prefer my reds dry. Is it possible to add some or all of the EC-1118 to restart and how to you suggest introducing the yeast to carboy ? ...Thanks

I tasted it this morning and it has a sweeter taste to it .Would be nice to get it somewhat drier .

What was the beginning specific gravity? RC-212 isn't super alcohol tolerant. Also, what temperature is it right now? If it cooled off it could stall. If you can get the temperature up to 68 or 70*F it might finish.

If all those things are in line, I don't see any issues pitching the EC-1118 that came with the kit, especially if you want it dry.

The SG seemed unusually high at 1.1060 and that was right after I had added the grape pack. that is perhaps the reason the RC212 isn't able to finish. the temp is currently 74 degrees.

That could be it since it probably went up a little with the contents of that grape pack over time. I think my Forza kit was 1.105 and finished at .994 using the RC-212. I guess I could have added the EC-1118 but at .994 the sweetness wasn't really noticeable by me. I could see pitching the second yeast if my kit had ended at 1.000 since that is about what I backsweeten my fruit wines to SG-wise (1.000 to 1.002).

Can't say I've ever had to do it yet (I guess that is a good thing) but I've seen that others have made a starter (hydrate it per package directions) and just pitch it in. I'd think at 74*F it would start up pretty quickly, though it won't be as active as starting a new batch of wine since the SG is much lower and almost to it's terminal point.

Don't know about using nutrients either, I'd worry that too many would be left for other nasties to feed on.

I think you have a good chance of spoiling this wine if you try to start anything now. the alcohol content of this wine is very high and toxic to yeast. but if you insist. start a yeast starter. use a cup of apple juice, hydrate with go ferm and add yeast:when fermentation is evident after about four to eight hours add one cup of wine. wait until fermentation starts again then add two cups wine continue in this manner doubling the addition each time until the entire five gallons are fermenting. use a very accurate hydrometer to see if you get a really dry wine.
I personally think this is a waste of time. go for a dry wine next time.

Making the WS Carmenere kit and swapped out EC-1118 for RC-212 .I rehydrated the yeast with goferm and add fermaid at start and mid point of fermentation, it has stalled at 1.000 for the past week and prefer my reds dry. Is it possible to add some or all of the EC-1118 to restart and how to you suggest introducing the yeast to carboy ? ...Thanks

I used this kit in a wine making class I help with. Only kit in 5 years that stopped fermenting, and with this one, no matter what we tried, would never get going again.

One of the groups wanted a sweet red, so this became theirs.

Thanks for all the advice ! I've had the brew belt on it on and off now and there's still a bit of fermentation happening ,so I will wait and see how dry it gets.

Worst case scenario I may have an off dry red to give away to family.

Latest posts

Back