VSP for all grape varieties?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat57

Reaction score
Hi, question for some of the guru's.... Is it OK to grow all your grape varieties with the VSP? I know some varieties, like Marquette, will supposedly have reduced yields, but every grape I'm growing, including my table grapes, ALL want to just go straight up from the top wire.

The other advantage for me with a VSP or a low wire VSP is that some of the more tender varieties I can cover the trunk and cordons with snow for the winter. I've got several red grape varieties like Rondo, Regent, Zweigelt, Dornfelder and Castel that probably will not take -25F, which we get here virtually every winter without fail. Many of the table grapes won't handle those temps well either.

TIA, Pat

I would tell you to do what ever works best for your grapes, I am growing Petite Pearl and am doing a high wire cordon because that was how the grapes wanted to grow. Hope this helps

You can train grapes to just about any system. Each variety has it's own method which works best because of growth habit, etc but can be adapted to other styles. Make your choice based on your conditions and go with that one. Some varieties grow upright and others are procumbent and droop down naturally (note that all varieties will start out growing up while some will droop later and others don't).

OK thanks, I think I'm going to start training new cordons this year to the VSP and/or low wire VSP.

Pat

Latest posts

Back