WineXpert VR Cab Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBHarris

Junior
Reaction score
Folks,

This weekend is the 28th day for my VR Cab kit and I havea few questions: A. Should I rack to another carboy and leave for a few more weeks?? B. If I do A shouldIadd some Campden tabs???? C. Should I just say to heck with it and bottle it??

Any and every opinion welcomed.

Rack it, Oak It, And wait another 30 days. That kit takes about 6 months for it to start blossoming.

How much oak Angell and what type would you use for the VR Cab? Should it be left in for the entire 30 days? Edited by: Waldo

This is one of those non-scientific deals. I use Cubes during bulk aging because they are easier to get out of the carboy. I will put the cubes in so they are staked at least two high in the neck of the carboy. Usually about a small hand full. I have big hands so adjust for smaller hands. I like oak, so with the VR Cab I would go with the Heavy Toasted American Oak. I've just start experimenting with French oak so I can't really suggest either one yet, It's really personal taste. Thedirection on the cubes say you should leave them in for 8 weeks, but I would suggest that you sample the wine every 2 week until you are satisfied with the results.

I have made this kit and did pretty well just like Steve says but I didn't leave the oak in as long. I did like he said and sampled it as it went. After 2-3 weeks it was very "oaky". It has mellowed considerably after about a year in the bottle. I used a heavy toast American and used I believe 4 oz. What ever the small bags you can buy of the cubes weigh. This kit has a good flavor but is kind of thin compared to any commercial Cab you can buy. I do think the added oak added to the body and made it a pleasantly surprising wine.

Smurfe

Smurfe et. al.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I used an American White Oak..to Smurfes point, would this type of oak be very "oaky" or is it less oaky than the one you used??

Thanks

I came across the following at some point. I'll see if I can find the link again if anyone is interested.

In General:
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
1 oz= 34 oak cubes
2 oz= 68 oak cubes
3 oz = 102 oak cubes

So, from this we can calculate the following dosage rates:

1 oz per 5 gallons dosage rates = 7 cubes per gallon or 42 cubes for 6 gallons
2 oz per gallon dosage rate = 14 cubes per gallon or 84 cubes for 6 gallons
2.5 oz per gallon dosage rate = 18 cubes per gallon or 108 cubes per 6 gallons
3 oz per gallon dosage rate = 21 cubes per gallon or 126 cubes per 6 gallons

*Note that 2.5 to 3 oz per gallon is considered equivalent to “new barrel” extraction rates.

Since there are a few variables involved such as taste preference and planned bulk ageing times, I’m not sure how helpful the above info is to everyone. I would think that the less time you have for bulk ageing the more oak you would want to use in order to reach your desired level quicker.

Does anyone know if it’s a good idea to re-use oak cubes? I know that barrels are washed and re-used so I’m wondering about the cubes.

I just found a pack of the oak I used. It was 3 oz. in 6 gallons. It was amedium toast French Oak. Like I said, after 2-3 weeks it had a heavy oak and I thought I had over oaked. It did mellow out quite nice after a few months in the bottle.

I have heard some re-use their oak cubes but I don't see how it could be sanitary. I do save them and use them in my smoker. Give a great flavor to a smoked chicken. I believe I used the cubes from the VR Cab batch when I smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving last year. I had a half a bottle left from bottling and I soaked the cubes as well as a few other pieces of wood in the wine. Was quite tasty.

Smurfe

I like that idea smurf
smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif

I also have a kit that will be at 28 days this weekend. Its a raspberry merlot. I've followed the directions, but when I racked from the primary to the secondary, I didn't do a good job in leaving most of the lees behind. I continued following the directions and at the appropriate time, I added the additional packets of Kmeta and sorbate, f-packand the clarifier. I stirred with my mix-stir to mix and de-gas.

Now I want to age the wine, but still have a lot of the lees, so I'll have to rack again. I have the same question. Should I add 1 campden per gallon? Also, do you de-gas again, or do you not want the air exposure now?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Mike

Hey Mike,

I looked at that Rasp. Merlot also....when you get done could you let us know how it is??
Thanks

I usually add the extra 1/8th tsp of K-Meta to a batch. De-Gas once but not at each racking. I actually never thought about it and except for my first kit I have been successful to properly de-gas my wines with the initial de-gassing.

Smurfe

This is what Jack Keller says about adding more k-meta to scratch wines. I use it as a rule of thumb for all my wines (every other racking, if I make it that far hehe). As I just got a new Free SO2 test kit, I'll be checking now to see where it's at before adding each time (or every other time).
"Add the Campden or potassium metabisulfite (pot meta for short) when the fruit is crushed, unless you are going to use boiling water to extract the flavors, color and juices of the base. The boiling water will kill off the bacteria, fungus and wild yeast, but when you rack the wine you should add the appropriate dose of crushed Campden or pot meta. Some of the sulfur in the dose will bind with other components of the wine but some will exist as unbound sulfur (also called "free sulfur") in the form of a dissolved gas called sulfur dioxide, or SO2. This gas is the sanitizing and antioxidizing agent. As time progresses, the gas is slowly released into the atmosphere or breaks down and the sulfur in it binds with other components created as the wine develops and ages. Thus, the dose of SO2 must be regenerated periodically. If you add the Campden or pot meta to the must at the beginning, add another dose at the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rackings and just before bottling (it must be added at the same time as potassium sorbate when stabilizing a wine, as potassium sorbate alone will not stabilize the wine against malolactic bacteria, something you do not want to take up residence in your bottled wine). If you add Campden or pot meta at the time of the 1st racking, add it again at the 3rd and 5th rackings and before bottling (when stabilizing the wine). This should be done whether the recipe mentions it or not."

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/starting.asp
Edited by: Coaster

This is my logic on adding extra K-meta to kit wines. Most people will drink all 6 gallons with in a year. you will haveplenty of sulfite's in the wine for it last 2 years but if you are the "better safe than sorry" type I'd say go ahead and add 1/8 teaspoon before bottling.

The extra sulfite on adds 10-12 ppm. This should bring a kit wine up to 30-35 ppm which is still less than 1/2 what you get in a commercial wine. My recommendation is to add the sulfites!

Latest posts

Back