WineXpert Vintners Rerserve Pinot Noir Progressing Very Fast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanPond

Reaction score
I started my first kit on 10/30. a VR Pinot Noir that came with my equipement Kit. Starting SG was 1.080 and the must was at 75 degrees when I pitched the yeast. I fermenting room was kept at 70 degrees, I did not make additional temperature readings and only monitored the ambient room temperature.

On 11/4 the sg was 1.006 and I transfered racked to the 6 gallon carboy.

Today on 11/9 specific gravity is .994 . The instructions say this next step should should have taken 10 days. Is this too soon? Everything I've read on the forum indicates that all is fine and the instructions are just a guideline.

It's my first kit and looking for reasurance. Plan right now is to take another reading tommorow night to see if I get the same reading. If I do It looks like it is time to move on to step 3, Stabilizing and Clearing.

I did take small taste. It does taste like wine but it is very gassy. I think that is to be expected as I have not done any de-gassing

Sounds like all is good. Wines will ferment at different paces in different environments (temp, humidity, etc).

I would also degass, stabilize, and clear. Degassing will aid in the clarification of your wine.

I did this kit as my first kit as well. You will have to degas alot. The instructions always say less time than is really needed. This is a nice table wine but keep your expectations low. Nice wine but not a great wine. Its a little thin on body and there is no Oak in this kit. If you like oak you may want to add some - like an oak spiral and keep it in the carboy for a few weeks and taste periodically. I wish I would have done this.

Back