Vinmetrica SC-300

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got done testing 10 different wines for PH, TA and Free SO2, it took me a little over an hr and 20 mins, the SC-300 is a great tool!

The Sc300 is my next purchase. So I have been following this thread since the first post. I'm a builder not a chemist, is the unit easy enough for the average "Joe" to use? Really want to bring my wines up to the next level. Roy

FTC Wines, I am also just a regular guy, I wrote out a few cheat sheets on 3 x 5 cards that I use each time I use the unit, for me, it is much easier than trying to remember...lol
I'm sure that after a few times it will become second nature, but yes, it is very easy to use.
I cannot wait for the MLF probe, that will make the unit a complete testing unit as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks Pumpkinman, I too use "cheat sheets" instead of most instructions. Glad to hear its easy to use, I have used lots of testing equipment, so I guess I can get used to the SC300. Sure will be nice KNOWING the PH & TA, & SO2 of my wines. Roy

FTC Wines, I am also just a regular guy, I wrote out a few cheat sheets on 3 x 5 cards that I use each time I use the unit, for me, it is much easier than trying to remember...lol
I'm sure that after a few times it will become second nature, but yes, it is very easy to use.
I cannot wait for the MLF probe, that will make the unit a complete testing unit as far as I'm concerned!

LOL, I too need to review before I use it. I go to their website and watch the instructional vids before use. In my old age I have developed a serious case of CRS disease.

RR

LMAO RegionRat!
I prefer to tell myself it isn't old age...it is because I am a perfectionist...LOL!!!
I ordered the additional lab stand and Stir plate with the SC-300, it comes in handy not having to hold the probe or manually stirring the samples.

It is true there will be one available in the near future. I will be testing a proto type in the next week or two.

I thought you said you were one of the beta testers for the new probe. I look forward to hearing your review if you are allowed to share results prior to release.

I cannot express enough, just how much time, effort, and ultimately, money the SC-300 saved me just in this last batch of testing; I tested 10 different batches of wine, I was able to correct potential disasters.
I cannot believe how fast the SO2 in the wine aging in the barrels is depleted, without this accurate testing, it could have resulted in major issues.

Mine going back tomorrow to them as well.... Same problem....... Cannot calibrate the 4.0.... But 7.0 calibrates fine every time! Tried different solutions and all the tricks listed here.... Still no good. Tech support says it may be the lights interference .... So I walk around the house like a fruitcake trying to get it to respond.... They tell me send it back and they will upgrade the firmware. Claiming it has a third digit not on the screen that will not balance out. ....... Just hope they don't have it long... It is wine season!!!!

Sorry to hear that, I hope that they fix the issue and get the unit back to you fast!

I should have my meter back today or tomorrow. They installed a firmware update and were able to get the meter to calibrate. Looking forward to getting it back. Here is the response to my email...

We received your unit yesterday and I just finished testing it this morning. Initially, we noted the same issue you were having. Your unit and electrode were unable to calibrate at pH 4.01. It calibrated perfectly at pH 7.00. Typically we do testing a couple of times a day to see if anything changes. We then installed a new firmware update to you SC-300 software.

Upon secondary testing your unit and electrode were able to calibrate at pH 4.01 and pH 7.00. I let it sit overnight and then tested it again this morning and it was still able to calibrate at pH 4.01 and pH 7.00.

Great customer service in my opinion..

I got mine back a few days ago. Firmware upgrade and replaced the ph wand. Have not tried it but believe it should work fine. Great turn around! Only took a few days!

Latest posts

Back