Mosti Mondiale Vinifera noble Chianti

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLeroy

Reaction score
Just started a Vinifera noble Chianti kit. This is my first of this style kits. I was shocked to see that a 10 liter kit had a SG of 1.09 to start. I also added a 1.5 liter crush grape pack from George. Hope that will make the wine better. Can't hurt. After adding the grape pack the SG was 1.102. Any one ever add a grape pack to a Vinifera noble kit? I know george has always said that these kits are good for the money. Maybe now it will be better.
smiley4.gif

I believe George only carries a Merlot and a Cabernet Sauvignon grape packs. Either one will improve the kit, but ceteris paribus, I would favor the Cabernet.

I added the cabernet pack. I plan on adding more oak than the 30 grams that came with the kit. This is my second time I have used a crush grape pack I have to say, take the seeds out and give me some bread and peanut butter. Yummmmmm
smiley36.gif

Leroy, Sounds great. Keep us informed on how it goes.

How long after you added the grape pack did you check the SG? Has it begun to ferment? If you checked the SG right after adding the grape pack, you may be surprised if you check it the next morning. It could be even higher, assuming it has not begun to ferment.

I checked it about 10 minutes after. I moved it around and pressed it on the side of the bucket. I did not wait to add the yeast so it has started to ferment this moring. The SG could be higher. I guess I will never know.

These crushed grape packs are more expensive then raisins. Which one is better? Will it be worth the money?

I personally would have gone with the raisins myself. Better match on the flavor profile. Many of the higher end Italian varietal kits come with a pound of the red raisins. Whole Foods sells them for about $3 pound.

The grape pack will definitely help with total dissolved solids aka "mouthfeel".Hopefully the Cabernet won't effect the flavor profile enough to make it taste like something other than Chianti. Keep us posted!

LittleLeroy said:
I checked it about 10 minutes after. I moved it around and pressed it on the side of the bucket. I did not wait to add the yeast so it has started to ferment this moring. The SG could be higher. I guess I will never know.

These crushed grape packs are more expensive then raisins. Which one is better? Will it be worth the money?

LittleLeroy said:
I added the cabernet pack. I plan on adding more oak than the 30 grams that came with the kit. This is my second time I have used a crush grape pack I have to say, take the seeds out and give me some bread and peanut butter. Yummmmmm
smiley36.gif

Before adding more oak, I would taste the wine after the supplied oak is used up.

I haven't made that particular kit, but I made another ultra-premium kit and blindly added more oak without first tasting it. When I got around to tasting it, I had more oak than most people would like. Since I, personally like lots of oak, all was not lost. However, now I am reluctant to give any of it as a gift.... maybe that's a good thing, huh?
smiley4.gif

However, now I am reluctant to give any of it as a gift.... maybe that's a good thing, huh?
smiley4.gif

I was going to say, Richard, I'm not sure I see the problem here!
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back