Vineyard Impossible!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
Well, those of you that have been follwing my progress know that I had taken a 25 year sabbatical from grape growing to raise my kids and work my job. Now that those two things are finishing up, I have been bit with the grape and wine bug again, mostly due to you guys at this site. I have made some kits and they came out real good, but the first harvest of the test plot this month has convinced me to go bigger. The test plot has 25 vines and came in real good, so now the challenge to go big. The site in question is loaded with trees and bedrock and presents a real challenge. But I have never shyed away from a challenge so I present to you:

VineyardimpossibleLogo_zpsea49d27a.jpg

This will be a series covering every aspect of the vineyard development and planting. Who knows even Grapeman may weigh in on the insanity. He cheated because he started out with dirt, which believe me this site does not have! Next post I will show you the site before the trees come down.

The site

The site is about a third of an acre on an old chiken farm which is now my back yard in Connecticut. Chickens are notoriously less picky than grapes and did not mind that most of the site is covered in bedrock. I could move, but that is not in the cards short term. So, here is a view from the north:
FromtheNorth_zps5d561039.jpg

And one from the West:
FromtheWest_zps4f028200.jpg

That's my surveyor assistant in the picture. (Runs on MilkBones!)
All would be lost if not for THE TOOL!:
Thetool_zpsc4c6ff23.jpg

Isn't she a beaut! Well, I have called the town for a brush burning permit and the chain saw is warming up, so time to make some firewood!!

Oh boy, looks like quite a project. It'll take some work to get sun into that space. But you have the tools!!! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

a local winery did (is doing?) and experiment where he had a hill slope rock glade and using a D-8 or D-10 with a ripper cut in a vineyard. Last time a spoke with them it was producing some nice wines.
So anything is possible!
Good luck.
I think this is a photo of it.

chaumette2_pruning_6.jpg

Last edited:
I sure wish I could use a Dozer and a tooth, but this is bedrock with some float (loose rocks). So here is what the site looks like with the small trees down:
VineyardImpossible002_zps3ac6b778.jpg

And here is Arnold the backhoe taking a break:
VineyardImpossible004_zpsfa9103b8.jpg

You can already see more light on the forest floor.

Amazing the lengths we'll go to grow grapes! Your site makes me feel like I have it easy. Sure look forward to seeing your progress.

Gook luck on the project. I had about the same issue on my vineyard, which is on a steep slope and only about 1 1/2 feet of topsoil and then bedrock. I used a cat and ripper and am glad I did. I could not even get a regular tractor on the slope. Anyway the vine are now going into their third year and are thriving. I think yours will do fine, but they do need the sunlight, so clear a bit away from the plantings. Cheers, Gary

I sure wish I could use a Dozer and a tooth, but this is bedrock with some float

A D-10 should get through just about anything :)

d10.jpg

d10t.jpg

Progress!

Spent some time with the quad, chainsaw and backhoe and now you can see the light getting to the forest floor:
LookingSoutheast_zps30f64aef.jpg

And another view with Arnold:
WithBackhoelookingsoutheast_zps93f878fa.jpg

I was thinking of taking some cuttings and rooting some vines over the winter and then planting here in the spring, is that doable?

Here in northwest CT taking any stump out is ugly. The Connecticut State Flower is the rock and those trees wrap their roots around them. It's just ugly, even with Arnold the backhoe!

Well here is a progress report: all the trees are down, the brush has been burned and the plot has been combed with the backhoe bucket. Lots of rock:
VineyardImpossible006_zpsd9c8b380.jpg

Here is the shot after combing:
VineyardImpossible007_zpsb645b332.jpg

Rock everywhere!! Will take a few days to de-rock and then the topsoil furrows will be built, mixing the topsoil as I go with the native glacial clay.

It looks like a shot from post-apocalyptic war zone!

You can call it the Warzone Winery. Everyone would want to know which war...

w0W! This thread is aptly named for sure.

Your not from Texas are you? If you tell a Texan something can't be done he will spend his last dime trying to prove you wrong!

Great job!!!! Lots of work ahead still but its coming along nicely. :br

Thanks guys. I am known as someone who does not give up easily. I was thinking today "This Wine better be damn good!" Welded up a thumb for the backhoe today and tomorrow is rock picking time!

I like how you have 'corrected' the labeling on the side of your backhoe - "Village of Brew"! LOL

I gather you got some surplus equipment from Brewster, NY? Sweet!

Last edited:
This machine was won at an auction from the Brewster Highway department. I bought from my neighbor. Its been a real blessing, especially for this job. Rockin in the Village of Brew!!!

Latest posts

Back