Vine Update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeEater

Reaction score
I have a weird situation. I planted this vine in spring of 2012 but I over-watered it and it pretty much died. It sprouted buds in 2013 but then lost it's leaves to frost (even though I covered it). It made another come back this spring and is finally doing great in my opinion. I will post pictures so you can see my situation, but I am not sure the best way to handle my situation. This one vine base has about 6 stems growing off of it. I currently have 3 strong stems climbing the 6x6 post. The other 3 smaller or thinner stems are growing along the ground. I have no idea if 3 stems which I assume will turn into "trunks" is to much to have growing up one post. I also don't know if I should prune the 3 smaller stems growing along the ground. Could I transplant these on another post? When is the best time to do that?

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

shot3.jpg

The bottom picture is the 3 big main vines I have going up the post. The second picture the 2 small vines on the far right and the one going to the left are the 3 that are currently on the ground. I don't know what I should do with them. I am looking for any advice.

Thanks!

This is one vine. The shoots growing from it need to be pruned and or trained. I would cut off the 3 low ones as they are unneccessary and will be in the way. You want one or two trunks which it looks like you have. I would tie this up loosely to the post. Next year you can prune it before it begins growing to get the shape you want.

Ok I will trim the 3 small ones off tonight. If you look close in the 3rd picture I have 3 stems going up the post. There is a 3rd stem if you look close on the left side. Should I eliminate the smallest of the 3 going up the post?

Next year will these stems going up the post turn into trunk? And the canopy will spread across the top of the arbor?

You can keep all three if you want. This vine will need a different pruning method than you would use in a vineyard. Let it grow for this year and keep it tied up and we can discuss what to do towards spring of next year.

Ok sounds good. I did cut the 3 suckers off and I decided to cut back the smallest of the 3 vines that I had on the post. I now have 2 very strong stems coming off the base of the vine. I re wrapped them around the post and secured it with plant ties. If there is anything I need to do to this fall to prep the vine for winter please let me know. Otherwise thanks for the help!

Ben

Side note: I live in Michigan which I believe is Zone 6 if that helps.

Yeah when you prune in the winter leave the main ones that you want as "trunks". Then you can train it as necessary as it grows in the spring.

Here is what I did with my vine which has 2 main trunks. I trained the two main vines all the way up to the top of my patio and then cut the tips off and trimmed off all of the other vines during pruning season. The following year I trained a vine across the roof line to create a sort of L shape. Each year the trunk gets thicker and the base is about as thick as my arm now.

3980d1333559040-oak-circle-vineyards-redflame.jpg

Latest posts

Back