Vinbrite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I bought a vinbrite filter. Used it two or three times and it did good, caught lots of krud. The last two times I have used it, only the bottom side of the filter gets a little stained and the top side is still white after running 5 gallons of muscadine thru it. I've read the directions until I have about memorized them. Ther is something I am doing wrong and I can't figure out what it is. I put the filter in and put "A" against the filter, lightlu screw the ring on and pour about a cup of water to let the filter soak. After that I tighten the ring up with the wrench and run a half gallon of water thru it, close the little valve off when it gets half full of water. Then close the plastic valve on the discharge hose and move the inlet to my wine and open the discharge valve. It will empty a 5 gallon carboy in about 30 minutes and it shows no sign of filtering on the pad. Again, it worked great the first couple of times I use it. Anybody got any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any and all replys

Semper Fi

Are you seeing any signs of tearing on the pads? If so the wine will go right through that small tear and not filter anything. I used mine for almost a year and then it would not filter properly, That ring seemed to have warped and would not lay flat no mater how tight you tightened it. If you over tighten it you will tear the filter as well. I gave up eventually and switched over to the whole house filter. Cost about the same price as the Vinbrite and the filters last 10X longer.

Proper order

Bud,

"A" the flat disk goes in first, three little notches need to be lined up. Then the filter pad, and then the screw ring goes against the pad. (pad between the black disk and screw ring) I use the paper (made for the vinbrite) on the side with the ring and sometimes on both side of the pad. This seems to keep the holes ibglowin is talking about from happening, I was having that problem. Wine has to be cleared fairly good or the filter will clog very fast.

Mrzazz is right. The function of the "support disc" is to protect the filter pad from the "locking ring." The locking ring is what usually causes tears in the filter pad. The support disc transfers the rotational pressure of the locking ring to static pressure on the pad

Directions

I know the directions say to put the filter pad in first, however according to the first post it wasn't working that way. The way I do it has always worked for me. Just putting that option out there.

I tried filtering it again last nite, this time I installed the pad and then the disc and just snugged the locking ring down. Poured about a cup of "Hot" water on the pad and let it set for about 10 minutes, then tightened the ring down tighter than I had before, flushed the pad out and filtered. That worked, I think I was not tightening the ring down tight enuf.

Thanks for all the replys

Semper Fi

Latest posts

Back