Very slow fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemom

Reaction score
I am making 3 wines now. 2 are coming along nicely but one is taking forever to ferment.

I picked up the juices (6 gallons Seyval Blanc, 3 gallons Valvin Muscat, and 6 gallons Cayuga White) on 9/13. I adjusted sugar to 22 Brix and added yeast nutrient. The juices had already been sulfited at the winery.

On 9/14 the juices had warmed to room temp, so I pitched the yeast (71B-1122 for the Seyval and Cayuga, Cotes des Blancs for the Muscat.) The juices are fermenting in the cellar which has been 68-69 degrees the whole time.

On 9/24 the Muscat was .992 and the Seyval was .993 and were already starting to clear. Racked them and they continue to clear. The Cayuga was still 1.020 and was cloudy with lots of fizzy bubbles. The airlock had stopped bubbling.

On 9/29 nothing had changed, so I pitched some EC1118 yeast after rehydrating it in some warm sugar water. My readings for the next few days were:
10/1 1.003
10/2 1.002
10/3 1.001
10/4 1.001

The wine is very cloudy, with lots of fine bubbles rising, and the airlock "burps" once every 10-12 seconds. The juice is still somewhat sweet and fizzy to the taste and smells like grape juice and alcohol.

The mystery to me is that both the Seyval and Cayuga were started the same time under the same conditions using the same yeast. It seems like the Cayuga is still fermenting away but not going anywhere much. Should I do something else at this point? At what point should I worry?

I should mention that I made the Cayuga last year and it fermented dry no problem. We liked how it came out so my intent was to ferment it dry again this year.

No ideas? As of today the hydrometer reads 1.000 and it is still fizzing and bubbling away.

That fizzing and bubbling is likely just CO2 blowing off, but it could be MLF.
At least it seems to be dropping from where it was.
1.000 is pretty good. I would stir the wine.
Check the temperature of the wine, itself. What is it? If it is in the sixties, I would warm it up to mid 70'sF.

After doing that, check SG again in 3 days. If it has not moved from 1.000, I would consider it dry and proceed with the next step.

Are you doing an MLF on that wine? I don't know if an MLF is applicable for that grape or not, so excuse my ignorance.

No, I'm not doing MLF. The wine is 68 degrees. Unfortunately the whole house is 68 degrees, will need to come up with a way to warm it. Would a "brew belt" from the homebrew store be appropriate?

If I stir it, should I stir the lees too?

I was hoping for a dry table wine, it's still a little sweet for my taste.

No, I'm not doing MLF. The wine is 68 degrees. Unfortunately the whole house is 68 degrees, will need to come up with a way to warm it. Would a "brew belt" from the homebrew store be appropriate?

If I stir it, should I stir the lees too?

I was hoping for a dry table wine, it's still a little sweet for my taste.

The wine may have started its own MLF, but maybe not. 68F is a great temperature for an MLF to start.

If you don't want an MLF, get the sulfites into the wine (stabilize) as soon as you know it is dry. If it is 1.000, I would go ahead and stabilize. the sulfites should stop any spontaneous MLF.

My opinion is if the wine was 1.001 on 10/4 and today it is 1.000, it is finished, so go ahead and stabilize.

Again, I wish I knew more about Cayuga.

Last edited:
An update on the Cayuga White: I had stabilized it with sulfites in early October. As of last week the wine was pretty clear. When I went into the basement a couple hours ago, I noticed that it was cloudy, and there were tiny bubbles fizzing away. I just checked the sulfites and the reading was 35 ppm.

It seems like an MLF has started itself, but I'm not sure how that would happen with sulfites in the wine. What should I do at this point? Just let it finish? Add more sulfites?

The wine smells okay and doesn't taste bad although I can taste the carbonation.

I have never had that happen, but my guess would be let it sit til it gets done. Keep us informed what happens and good luck with it. Arne.

This is so goofy. I made Cayuga White last year with juice from the same winery. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but had no problems and the wine turned out very nice! Oh well, 6 gallons of juice was $40 so no real loss if it goes bad!

Any other observations welcome!

Latest posts

Back