WineXpert Very "quiet" fermentation - why?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyDinkle

Reaction score
Started an Island Mist kit (Exotic Fruit White Zin). Following directions with the exception of adding half of the FPack at primary and will add remaining when instructed to do so.

Yeast with kit: Red Star Premier Cuvee

Pitched yeast at SG 1.050 (kit recommends between 1.048-1.052).
Added some FPac which brought SG to 1.060.

48 hours later - no apparent activity (except when stirring - fizzes but settles down immediately) so added 3 teaspoons of yeast nutrient. Directions did not say to stir must, however, it seemed like the right thing to do since it was inactive.

Day 3 - no apparent activity (except when stirring - fizzes but settles down immediately) BUT SG = 1.009.

We keep our house on the cool side - about 67 degrees - so I did put a space heater in the room with the juice this morning. Good or bad idea?

I've never had such a quiet and seemingly inactive fermentation. Does this indicate any problem?

It sounds to me like it is fermenting along nicely. I wouldn't worry.

Have you thought about entering it into the wmt unofficial competition?

a case of wine is 9 liters. the pailes should yield 2 cases when all is said and done. 54 liters is 6 cases. this means you get 3 pails and will have 3 liters left over for top off.

it may look wierd, but it does make sense.

a case of wine is 9 liters. the pailes should yield 2 cases when all is said and done. 54 liters is 6 cases. this means you get 3 pails and will have 3 liters left over for top off.

it may look wierd, but it does make sense.

John I'm a bit confused what you're talking about. This thread is about a fermentation not the volume of wine in anything. Incidentally the is 2.38 gallons of wine in a case of wine.

:dg:dg too much Welches!

Is it possible your fermenter was not sealed tightly and the CO2 was escaping some place other than through the air lock?

Adding some of the f-pack also added a bit of sorbate, so that might explain why it has slowed. The yeast will overcome, don't worry.

I wouldn't assume anything is wrong. Not all yeast strains produce noticeably active fermentations, and it can also depend on things like temperature and the wine you're making. Ultimately you should be relying on SG measurements anyway rather than visual inspection.

Latest posts

Back