Vernon the Wine Vine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Well, this is my vine, Vernon.

2006-04-17_113851_vernon.JPG

He's a Catawba vine. I bought him at Walmart (so you know it's gotta be high quality!!!) last year. The picture is from last year's summer.

He's going to be 3 years old this summer.

He seems to have made it through the winter! 2 weeks ago, I took a cutting from his branches, and let's hope he actually gets some grapes this year.

I will be "trellising" this year as this page shows: http://www.africusrex.com/page2.html

Martina

Awe Vernon!! He's so cute!! I don't think my Walmart carries anything like that.

Come on Martina- give us an update on Vernon. Does he just need a little fertilizer or is he getting wet feet. Tell us how he's doing
smiley1.gif

Oh dear,

Vernon is "limping" along this spring....

I have tried to not post pictures, because he's looking quite... uh... ill.

However, he's in the (probably) sunniest spot in my yard (on the balcony, gets 4+ hours of sun per day).

I'll find the time to get a pic this week, but he's not looking that great right now. I wish I could give him steroids or something.

Martina,

Have you gently lifted Vernon out of his big pot(tip on the side and tap the bottom while doing this). See if he is root bound. If you see a jumbled mass of roots all against the side, chances are he is severely bound. Grapes get a tremendous root system naturally. If he is constricted, the roots can actually strangle each other. If you see this, try putting him in a bigger pot and add some peat to the soil mixture to get a little better soil structure. Score the root ball a little when you transfer it. If that is the problem, he should respond very well. Just do it fairly soon so he can get his new growth done soon giving enough time to harden off some before fall. Even if this isn't the real problem, it certainly is something that will need to be done at some point. Good luck!

Martina,

So how is Vernon doing??? Better I hope. Have you concidered getting him out of the pot entirely?

Vernon is alive and well. I think it was all the rain we were having.

2006-07-06_075550_vernon.jpg

Looks like he's okay. I just wonder when I can expect some inklings of grapes.
smiley36.gif

Good to see Vernon is doing a little better
smiley1.gif
. If he grows pretty good this year and hardens off before frost, you should have some grapes next year. I planted 25 Catawbas on June 7 this year along with 25 Buffalos the next day. Boy have they grown in a month! The Catawbas are normally a very vigorous vine. Some of mine are already 36 inches in that month.

You might want to use just a little Miracle-Gro, Rapid-Grow or whatever-gro. Mix up a tablespoon in a gallon of water and give him half one day wait a day and give him the rest. That should perk him up without over stimulating growth. Good luck and keep him growing
smiley32.gif

He gets farm "Grade A" aka horse manure.

He loves it!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

M.

MArtina are you gonna do the foot stomp method for crushing your grapes

Hahaha, if there's enough, yes. If not, I'll probably just eat them
smiley36.gif
or add the grapes to some newer wines and say, "From my own harvest!"

smiley36.gif

Martina,

I have 25 of Vernon's relatives. These guys were planted a month ago and growing like crazy. I'm not as creative with names, so they are Catawba1, Catawba2.........and finally don't forget Catawba25.
smiley36.gif

There next door neighbors are Frontenac, St. Pepin, and LaCrosse.

They are spaced 7.5 feet in the row and 9 feet between rows. I hope it will be enough. These little guys are very vigorous.

2006-07-10_092218_vine4.jpg
Edited by: appleman

Gee, those little babies sure are looking good...by next year you are going to have lots of foilage....the arms of the plants will grow together, you will have lots of fruit in about 3 years....Good going!!!!
smiley32.gif

That picture looks awesome. I wish I had more yard to do what you have
done. I wish you the best of luck on your vineyard. Keep up the faith.

Waldo,

The top wire is just shy of6 feet. The training stakes are out of the ground about 48 inches. If you want to see more, go to page 3 of Champlain Valley Vineyard. I posted a bunch more pictures yesterday.

Just an update. Vern is growing nicely this year. I have no grapes, though.
smiley19.gif
Next year he'll be 3, and I hope that we'll have at least one grape to add to the wine! Pictures coming soon!

M.

Martina,

Are you going to leave Vernon in the pot? I just might have toget a little Vernon in a pot so I can at least join in the vineyard conversation,lol. I feel so envious of the pictures I see of the serious vine growers. Didn't you say you got him at Wally World? Maybe I can make him at home in my little world here.
20060828_171220_100_2448.jpg
Edited by: rgecaprock

Thats one heck of a beautiful balcony there. I dont think I would be able to pick out a vern if there was one there though.

Edited by: wadewade

Latest posts

Back