Vacuum Pump Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneCreek

Reaction score
Okay, I went out and bought a vacuum pump today because I haven't spent near enough money on this new hobby yet. I figured it would be a good investment to go along with the three new six gallon carboys, six new one gallons and my new three gallon. No, I am not addicted to this hobby yet. I haven't even bottled my first batch yet, but I'm getting there! Anywho, I've been trying to degas my first six gallon batch of DB by hand and decided this new investment was in order. I hooked everything up and started degassing and I could not believe how much CO2 was still in there. After just under ten minutes or so all the bubbling finally stopped and the wine settled down. I decided to shake the carboy a bit and started the pump up again. WOW. Another five minutes or so the bubbles stopped. shook the carboy again and then back to sucking out the bubbles. Is this normal? I know I'll have to do this until the bubbles cease to exist but I was wondering how long degassing usually takes you pros. The pump I'm using is a 2.5 CFM Vacuum Pump which was on sale at Harbor Freight for $99. It was the only affordable option I could find locally. Here's a link to the pump if you need any tech details.

[URL="http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html"]http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html[/URL]

Suggestions and advice is welcomed, and yes, I am venting the exhaust port to the great outdoors since this is an oil filled unit.

When You mentioned abut shaking up the carboy that is when I first came up with the idea of the flex racking cane - You are degassing every time you are transferring your wine. I personally believe it takes several transfers to complete the degassing stage . Not knowing your temps and your complete log .

Yes that pump will work -m but it will also boil off the alcohol and leave alot of oil residue in the air over time

You are better off getting the tubes from Steve (or make them yourself), and degass while transferring between carboys. If you try to degass from vacuum alone, you will get the gas near the top of the carboy, and not get the gas at the bottom. Hence, each time you shake, you release more of the gas in the middle/bottom.

The AIO (Steve's) website says that 4 transfers is usually enough to degass the wine. I believe that the 4 transfers have to happen over time (primary to secondary, racking/stabilizing, racking, racking). This works if you are not using clearing agents. I had to degass after the second transfer so I could get the clearing agents to work. What I tried was swirling the receiving carboy (the one under vacuum), and that released a lot more gas. Hopefully by swirling under vacuum, I did not oxidize the wine.

You can put your racking cane upside down so that the wine coming in goes out of the 90 degree turn into the side of the carboy.

Also, I prefer degassing with a brake bleeder. I pump it up to about 25, and rest. I do that for about 10 minutes. Then I pump it up and let it set for about 15 minutes, then pump it up again. soon, you only get the big bubbles which are not co2

You are better off getting the tubes from Steve (or make them yourself), and degass while transferring between carboys. If you try to degass from vacuum alone, you will get the gas near the top of the carboy, and not get the gas at the bottom. Hence, each time you shake, you release more of the gas in the middle/bottom.

The AIO (Steve's) website says that 4 transfers is usually enough to degass the wine. I believe that the 4 transfers have to happen over time (primary to secondary, racking/stabilizing, racking, racking). This works if you are not using clearing agents. I had to degass after the second transfer so I could get the clearing agents to work. What I tried was swirling the receiving carboy (the one under vacuum), and that released a lot more gas. Hopefully by swirling under vacuum, I did not oxidize the wine.

Richmke -
You are correct when you mentioned about the transfer method using the Allinonewinepump -

I am sure because you did swirl under vacuum - you did not induce any oxygen to it - because you were under a vacuum

I appreciate all the advice. The AIO is a bit out of my price range right now but I am sure I'll get one sometime this year. After all, there's always Fathers Day, My Birthday and Christmas! Yep, I already have a list started to make it easier on my wife and kids this year. I did splash rack from one carboy to another four times tonight and it worked like a champ. I stuck an airlock in the top of the carboy a few hours ago and the water level hasn't moved. I'll give it overnight and check it again in the morning to see if there has been any change. If so, I'll rack a couple of more times tomorrow before I put the clearing agents in there.

Steve - You mentioned that by using this pump I'll eventually get an oil residue in the wine. I fail to see how that is possible. I didn't major in science but I do know vacuum pumps only work in one direction. How would the residue work it's way backwards?

Steve - You mentioned that by using this pump I'll eventually get an oil residue in the wine. I fail to see how that is possible. I didn't major in science but I do know vacuum pumps only work in one direction. How would the residue work it's way backwards?

It's called the molecular flow regime. Air molecules are in constant motion in random directions. Hence, some of them will move from the pump towards the wine. At atmospheric pressure, however, there are too many air molecules in the way, so they don't get very far "upstream" before they are knocked back towards the pump. However, at low enough pressures, the molecules can travel a short distance without encountering another molecule. Hence, at low pressure, some oil molecule can make it a little way upstream, and then they will collide with the wall of the tube and condense. Then they can re-evaporate, and make it another short distance upstream. Eventually, they can make it to the wine.

I have been working in food processing environment for 36 years. We use oil filled vacuum pumps in various direct food contact processes and it does not contaminate the product under vacuum.
Your wine is safe with a oil filled vacuum pump.
As for degassing, I age all my wine for one year in the carboy and have never had the need to degas.

I have been working in food processing environment for 36 years. We use oil filled vacuum pumps in various direct food contact processes and it does not contaminate the product under vacuum.
Your wine is safe with a oil filled vacuum pump.
As for degassing, I age all my wine for one year in the carboy and have never had the need to degas.

But how low of a pressure did you apply to the food, and for how long?

Latest posts

Back