Using sparkaloid ... ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twintrades

Reaction score
I boiled the sparkaloid powder in 1 cup of sugar. And then poured it in the carboy full of skeeter pee 2 days ago. Now when i shine a light in the Pee i see fluffy chunks floating in there.

Its getting clearer is that how the sparkaloid works ? Will it collect the stray partials in the water and when they get heavy enuf it will sink ?

First time using it so let me know if im good or not. Thanks

Sparkalloid takes about 2 weeks to settle, and that "settle" isn't a very compact settle. It's a common concern when using Sparkalloid. It clears great, but the sediment is "fluffy". I've read that if you use sparkalloid combined with bentonite, it make compact the sediment. I haven't tried it. I've used Sparkalloid maybe 10-12 times and it is always exactly as you described it. I have 3 batches that I've been carboy aging for about 2 months now since using Sparkalloid. The sediment is at the bottom now, but not as compact as one of the kit I have aging also. The kit uses the isinglass / kieselsol.

OK well its getting way clearer ! Cant wait to try it when its done ! I still have some fluffys in there but there not as many and the bottom deffinatly has a layer of crud now. I guess ill just have to handle carefully when its done so i dont stir anything back up.

I boiled the sparkaloid powder in 1 cup of sugar.

Um, excuse me! Sugar? :< I hope that was a typo!

Sparkolloid has always worked great at clearing my wines. You do have to be careful with the lees so as not to stir them up. I am yet to try the bentonite/sparkolloid combination (I have both on hand).

I simmer my sparkolloid (1 tbs) in one cup of water for about 30 minutes, adding more water if needed. I purchased a simple hot-plate for my wine room just for this purpose. It simmers while I degas.

SUPERKLEER, IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. WHY, BECAUSE IT IS SIMPLE AND IT WORKS, IT ALSO IS CHEAP.

Richard L.

Haha Yea that was a typo ! I meant water. lol Its looking even better today still little floaties but i bet by tomorrow ittle be clear ! Do i have to wait for a whole week before i bottle or when i dont see any floties at all could i bottle ?

The longer you wait the clearer it will become, done rush it :)

Yea i know:b but when its clear-clear Could i bottle it ? Or do i have to wait the week like instructions say ?? I dont want to have any off flavors due to the sparkaliod.

Are you gonna backsweeten? If you do, it will need time to clear after that. Paitence was the hardest lesson I had to learn in winemaking. Man, I wanted to get my wine into bottles so bad! I made several mistakes that way. My wife always whined, but I make her wait, now. She has learned, too. Now she leaves the wining to me! :r

Yea im going to back sweeten. Planning on spiting a 5 gall batch into 5 diff flavors. Just to taste the rainbow. One gallon ill leave alone Im starting a new batch tonight. Just to take up the slack lol. :ib

If I wasn't working tonight, I'd be drinking some!!! I wonder if the fire chief would frown on just one glass with my dinner. One?! Oh, that would never work!:dg

Latest posts

Back