Using Oak Powder Trials

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powered oak trials

I have experimented with using powder oak for a goosd while now and have found a huge benefit in its use with juice wines especially you gain a noticeable mouth feel difference or a smooth texture,and blending it with hard woods makes wines more complex especially juice wines,balance in blending with the two components is the real key.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX:br

Lets talk about legs and how to achieve them in wine. What are your thoughts and technique?

I have experimented with using powder oak for a goosd while now and have found a huge benefit in its use with juice wines especially you gain a noticeable mouth feel difference or a smooth texture,and blending it with hard woods makes wines more complex especially juice wines,balance in blending with the two components is the real key.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX:br

I agree with Joe! A little lite or untoasted oak powder during fermentation won't add much oak flaovr, if any, but it sure can cure a multitude of problems, one being Methoxy Pyrazine (MP), which gives the wine a nasty, vegetative, herbaceuos taste. MP is necessary and great for Sav Blancs, but not for most other wines.

Anytime I make wine from fresh/frozen grapes, I'll add a couple hands full per 6 gallons.

wine legs

they are attributed to a amount of ahcolo level,residual sugar as well as finish,it's nice to see a glass of wine with a great pair of legs:HB

Do you have guidelines for achieving them Joe? Meaning a wine with x percent of alcohol, recommended amount of Residual Sugar? (S.G.) thank you.

I have been adding two ounces of untoasted American oak powder to all my red kits that do not come with any. I have done this for the last two years. I am drinking a 14 month old RJS Valpolicella tonight and it is delicious.

Guide lines

I WOULD HAVE TO SAY FIRST KNOW WHAT TASTE PROFILE YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE,FOR EXAMPLE,i WANT TO MAKE - AMARONE,i FIRST NEED TO KNOW FIRST HAND WHAT THE TASTE PROFILE OF THIS STYLE OF WINE IS,SO LETS START WITH ABV,ANY WERE FROM 14/16 % BY VOLUME,THEN i TAKE MY RAW PRODUCT AND SEE WERE MY SG IS TO START WITH THEN I KNOW WHAT i HAVE TO DO TO GET TO THE END RESULT,MOST OF WHAT WE DO IS SUBJECTIVE TO OTHERS OR OUR OWN INDIVIDUAL TASTE BUDS,SO THAT'S' WERE IT READY IS,i TRY TO KEEP WITH IN THE ORIGINALY PROFILE OF A STYLE OF WINE, JUST ENHANCE IT .:db

I know that oak can make the difference in the primary,always keep in mind that with the batches we pruduce,(small) in comparison to pros.when to add is just as inportant as what to add ,are choices ,have to be timely as well as correct and that comes with trial and error.:db

I don't as a rule believe in bench trials,maybe it's because I rather take a 6 gallon batch and break it in to 3 gallons batches and have something to work with(Sm.volume)I also believe in knowing what my wines taste profile should be,and the characteristics of it,as well as what is its blending partners are,or is it just a blender on its own.I'm not sure I answered your question but it's a great subject...............:dball winemakers tweak at one point or another,that's what separates the every day(wines) from the good ones I believe...think outside the box,experiment ,have fun.:db

. . . when to add is just as inportant as what to add . . . all winemakers tweak at one point or another,that's what separates the every day(wines) from the good ones I believe...think outside the box,experiment ,have fun.
Great point Joe. I just about always add dust in primary because I know I like the Coconut bouquet it adds and color and tannin retention. Same with adding raisins in primary. All other tweaks I wait and do towards the end of bulk aging. As you and others have said, wine seems to change every month or so for the first 18 months or so. So I wait till the last couple months before bottling to add oak, back sweeten, tannin and so on. Usually I try to do one tweak and wait a couple weeks before taking another step. I've never been a big fan of bench trials either, too much math!

Back