Unexpected travel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenS

Reaction score
ok, first official post (other than my intro a few weeks ago).
I've been doing a lot of reading, and worked up the courage to start my first batch, a CC Old Vine Zinfandel kit. It's a kit that includes a packet of crushed grapes, which are in the mesh bag in the must.

Started it on Sunday, so it's almost 3 full days in the primary fermenter, and everything looks good. I've been gently stirring twice a day, pushing the mesh bag down, and keeping it under airlock in between.

Now I need some advice: I just booked a trip that will have me gone for 4 full days, completely unexpected when I started the wine kit. So, questions:

1. Should I remove the crushed grapes, since I won't be here to push them down and keep them wet?
2. Should I take off the airlock, and just cover the hole in the fermenter? (yes, I've read lots of differing opinions about this already in a normal situation :))
3. Should I loosen up on the lid?
4. If I lower the house temp, how low can I go during my trip? I currently have the fermenter sitting in a room about 70 degrees.

Thoughts and advice appreciated...

KenS...

Can you use your stirring spoon to hold the bag at the bottom of the primary and then the primary lid to hold the spoon in place? It can be done, but my primaries are different than most people have. If you remove the grape pack, where do you put it, so that it does not start going bad (mould forming, whatever)?

Regarding the air lock. I am of the "cover the primary and don't worry about an air lock" persuasion. However, no matter how I look at it, the air lock serves absolutely no purpose if you are opening the primary to stir every day. It's just something that can be spilled easily. But that's not your question. If your primary lid seals, you need some way to allow gasses to escape. If it doesn't seal, just sits on the pail, then no problem either way.

Steve

Steve makes a god point for new people...no need or real use for an airlock during primary

occasionally i have needed to hold something down in a fermenting tub or during aging...try this...find a colander that for the lost part fits your container...find something sanitary in your house that has weight to it...place this unto the colander and gently drop into the primary to hold your bag down

You didn't say when you were leaving or what your SG is right now. You may be able to transfer the whole thing into secondary, airlock it and have a nice trip.

You didn't say when you were leaving or what your SG is right now. You may be able to transfer the whole thing into secondary, airlock it and have a nice trip.

Leaving tomorrow morning, so 3 1/2 days in primary seems way too quick. The kit suggests at least a week, so I haven't even checked SG since adding the yeast (initial reading was 1.081). Should I be checking daily even at the start?

Thinking about how to hold the crushed grape bag down, here's my idea:

I have a small dumbbell that I can put in a ziplock bag (I'll double bag it to be safe). Drop that into my sanitizer for a couple of minutes, then let it dry. Lower that onto the bag, and position it as best I can with the spoon.

Then I'll remove the airlock, cover the hole, and loosen the lid. Assume that 4 more days of primary fermentation is about right, and get on the airplane.

I keep reading about how forgiving the winemaking process can be; guess I'll find out on my first batch :sm

that should work....you could get a small colander or strainer to trap the grape pak and set the dumbell on it

That should work. Sounds like the best you can do under the circumstances. Wine making is pretty forgiving. Cover the hole in the lid with a towel, so critters can't get inside. With the towel in place, CO2 can still easily escape.

occasionally i have needed to hold something down in a fermenting tub or during aging...try this...find a colander that for the lost part fits your container...find something sanitary in your house that has weight to it...place this unto the colander and gently drop into the primary to hold your bag down
Al: That's a great method.

Steve

Great advice above!! Just so you know there are many of us including me who ferment to dry in primary instead of racking when the sg gets to around 1.020 or whatever the instructions say on your particular kit so dont worry about that. That being said I do use an airlock when the sg gets down to around 1.020. Welcome aboard our forum and hope you stay and shot the sh!t with us.

Great advice above!! Just so you know there are many of us including me who ferment to dry in primary instead of racking when the sg gets to around 1.020 or whatever the instructions say on your particular kit so dont worry about that. That being said I do use an airlock when the sg gets down to around 1.020. Welcome aboard our forum and hope you stay and shot the sh!t with us.

Thanks, this looks like a hobby I can enjoy for a good long time. I've already seen the great community here, so plan to put down some roots here :)

I'll post an update when I get back and see how it looks. If I end up making vinegar this time, I'll just try again!

Unless you are a total slob or have "Mother of Vinegar" sitting very close to your wine its very very unlikley youll have vinegar. Its actually a lot of work to make vinegar if your a sanitary person.

That should work. Sounds like the best you can do under the circumstances. Wine making is pretty forgiving. Cover the hole in the lid with a towel, so critters can't get inside. With the towel in place, CO2 can still easily escape.

Wouldn't the same thing be achieved by simply removing the inside part of the (3 piece) airlock?

Well, I got back this evening, and I'm a bit nervous about what I've found. I posted the details in the cellar craft forum, but any advice would be appreciated...

Latest posts

Back