Trouble w/ Vinator

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Wade.I think I'vegot it. That cap provides a greater surface area for the rim of the bottle and distributes the force better that just on the small prongs. Clever idea. I will do it now.

Yep, great idea!
smiley20.gif

Hi All,

FYI, I made myself one of the "Fiat84 caps" using the cap from a bag of juice. I found that the hole is slightly larger than 1/2" on my Vinator so I drilled a 1/2" hole and reamed it about 1/16". Also, when I turned it over to drill the small holes, there was an inside ring that is a good guide for where to drill. I just put the drill against the ring and drilled. Works fine.

I give up on the Vinator! Trying to assemble it without having the spring fall out of the detent takes all day. I just got a spray bottle, filled it with K-meta solution, inverted the bottles and sprayed up into them. I put them on rack to drain and they were fine.

I might play around with the design and try to improve it but for now I will use the spray bottle. No hassle, works much better.

I strongly advise against buying the Vinator.

Rocky said:
I give up on the Vinator! Trying to assemble it without having the spring fall out of the detent takes all day. I just got a spray bottle, filled it with K-meta solution, inverted the bottles and sprayed up into them. I put them on rack to drain and they were fine.

I might play around with the design and try to improve it but for now I will use the spray bottle. No hassle, works much better.

I strongly advise against buying the Vinator.

I respectively strongly disagree. The Vinatoris by far one of the greatest tools I own. I have easily rinsed over 2000 bottles with it with no modifications. Rocky I wonder if you just got a lemon that needs to go back where you bought it from. I could not do without this when I have tons of bottles to sanitize at bottling time. The siphon does start easier if it's at least 1/3 full of solution. Also never had a problem with the spring either.

Hi Dan, I appreciate your view on this. I have no problem getting the thing primed after I get it together. Getting it together is the real issue. The spring keeps popping out of the detent and it has been bent so many times that it is no longer straight, making the problem worse.

I dont take mine apart! Why would you? just run some water through when Im done to clean it up.

Wade said:
I dont take mine apart! Why would you? just run some water through when Im done to clean it up.

Duh! That is a great idea Wade!

If I ever get it back together again, I promise I will never take it apart. I was concerned about the steel spring and the reaction with the K-meta solution. But you are right, as long as I flush it with water, it should be okay. Sometimes I wonder how I got this far in life.

Well, I got the Vinator together this morning and I tested it with water. It works fine and I will never take it apart again. In fact, I am considering "Gorilla Gluing" it together, just so I would not be tempted to disassemble it.
I did do some examination of it and I think the problems arise from the spring in one way or another. First, the spring has a slightly too large of OD to fit into the top of the unit. There is no need that I can see why this has to be a tight fit. It could easily be 1/16" less so that it is free to rotate in the tube and not grab the sides of the tube. Second, the clipped ends of the spring have burrs that catch the sides of the tube. I filed them smooth and it was easier to assemble. Lastly, the detent in the base where the other end of the spring fits could be a lot deeper, like 1/2" or so.

Anyway, it is together and working. Thanks to Wade and Dan for their suggestions and encouragement. Amen!

Rocky, I guess I didn't realize you were taking it all apart. I lift the main component out of the tub of it but thats it. I just flush it out with water and put it away when I'm done. As soon as I pull it out I add the sanitizer and away I go again. Upon inspection of mine I did notice the white ribs on the side of it are starting to get worn down from the bottles. When they finally go in another 1000 bottles probably I'll just get a new onefor the $15.00 they cost. Glad it all worked out for you in the end!

Latest posts

Back