Trouble reading hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japaisley1

Reaction score
Hello fellow wine makers!
I am new at this and have a question. Any help would be great! I have a hydrometer and I did a reading on my first batch of a chiraz wine kit. Fermentation is 6 days in from when I pitched. It started fermenting on day 2:) today the reading showed just under 2 on the pic of my hydrometer below. What does this mean?
Thank you so much in advance.:)

image.jpg

That scale's title appears to read "SP GR COR", ie "specific gravity correction". I've never seen a hydrometer with that scale on it. The scale you probably should be reading is the one that appears on the other side. In the picture, it looks like a line of zeroes.

You may get some help from this thread.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16574

Steve

Does this tell you anything else? Here is the other side. I thought It was just for the temperature?

image.jpg

I don't think that is a hydrometer, unless there is a third scale. I have heard of a combination hydrometer-thermometer, but have never seen one. Just did some googling, and the combo units that I saw are different from this one.

Steve

That looks like a vinometer. It has a capillary tube.

Do yo submerge it or just stick it in a wine sample?

There are no other numbers. I will have to get a hydrometer today. Thanks for all the help guys!!

Perhaps this is a proofing hydrometer (for distillers)? Could the scale going to 120 be proof?

Either way, I agree that this was meant for wine. Get a new one, they are rather inexpensive.

Perhaps this is a proofing hydrometer (for distillers)? Could the scale going to 120 be proof?

Unless this is different from mine I'd say it's not a proofing hydrometer. Mine goes from 0-200

This is a SG correction thermometer. One scale is temp. The second is the number you add to your hydrometer reading to compensate for hydrometer calibration vs your actual must temp.
Problem is unless your hydrometer is calibration to the same 0 as the thermometer it's wrong. Note the 0 calibration on the example is around 77f, most of my experience is with hydrometer calibrated at 60f.

Latest posts

Back