Tropical White Wine - White Sangria Request

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgoose55

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have enough mangos to make a 5 gallon batch of wine. The mangos end up making a pretty light wine, so I was going to add some white grape concentrate to the recipe. My goal was a TA around .7 and add enough sugar to get the alcohol level up to 11%.

However, this time I wanted to try making a tropical fruit blend or white sangria using the mango as a base. I don't want someone to advise me to ferment, bottle, and then open the bottle adding some fruit to a pitcher. That was not the type of sangria I was looking at making. Rather I wanted to make something like the brands located below:

http://www.stjulian.com/Forbidden Fruit Sangria
http://www.stjulian.com/Forbidden Fruit White Sangria
http://store.dcwine.com/products/detail.php?p=72

I believe these companies use a niagra type of grape for their wine base. Then add mango, orange juice or pineapple juice to their must or during backsweetening. Does anyone know how to do something like I am thinking about making?

Thanks,
Rob

I have used frozen concentrates to finish out some skeeter pee. I tried cranberry and welches strawberry breezin. Took about a 14 oz. can of cranberry in a gallon. About a can and a half of the strawberry. Finish out your wine, draw a pint or so. Thaw out a concentrate of your choice. Start adding the concentrate a spoonful at a time til you get it to where you like it. If it works and you like what you get you can do the whole batch. If you don't care for it, well ya aren't out much. Good luck with it, Arne.

seville sangria

You could add coconut to extract to the finish just before bottling,makes a refreshing additive to sangria.:hb

You are probably right on the Niagara. I have made a few batches of Niagara wine, and it is pretty much a blank slate on which you can then draw whatever flavor palette you want. I oaked some and it took a year for it to settle down to an interesting flavor. I have promised Arne a bottle of that for some time, but so far I am a deadbeat. :)

Anyway, my advice would be to run the abv up pretty high (at least 16% and up to 18% at tops) and then use it as a base for a fruit blend. Your abv will fall as you add in your fruit flavoring, then let it rest awhile to do its thing. This is the type of lowbrow wine that is fun for me. Mmm, I am getting thirsty now...

Oh, and do try using snowcone flavoring sometime...

Last edited:
Really, snowcone flavoring? How would you make bench test trials using snowcone flavoring?

Regarding the high ABV, I would be a bit worried that such a light flavored wine would be overpowered by the ABV.

Thanks for the response, the snowcone flavoring sounds interesting.

Rob

Really, snowcone flavoring? How would you make bench test trials using snowcone flavoring?

That stuff is pretty strong, maybe use an eyedropper. Or you can use the old dump a little and try it. Harder to keep track of how much you are adding, but kinda fun this way. Course it is kinda hard on your wine supply as you try to duplicate the right amount again. Add some test, not enough, add some more, hmm, too much, got to add some more wine. Just never seems to end. LOL, Arne.

Latest posts

Back