Trip to Cornell Experiment Station-Geneva

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A
few of you might have noticed I was missing for a couple days. I had the great pleasure and opportunity to attend a meeting called"A Day with Grape Germplasm Resources at Geneva" What a trip!

Monday I left at noon and met up with the lead person at our Cold Hardy Grape Trial at Willsboro and we made the trip out to Cornell University at Geneva, NY in the heart of the Finger Lakes. We stayed at the Ramada Inn on the edge of Seneca Lake , at the very top corner of it. Our rooms were on Lakeside ground floor. Out the back door was a large patio with even a tent covering the center area. A very short walk (less than 100 feet) along a cobblestone path and you were at the edge of the lake. It was really a magnificant spot and I feel like we were in the best rooms in the place.

Here is a view of the Seneca Lake
20080813_052045_100_4224_Medium.jpg

At 6:00 PM we went to a welcoming barbeque. After some introductions, etc, we had a dinner at the picnic tables under the Pavillion. The first one to sit down with me was Tim Wiegle of the IPM Team(Integrated Pest Management). I had talked with him at a conference we had sponsored at Willsboro in June. One by one all these leading people at Cornell's grape program came over and sat with me. Then who comes over and asks if the spot next to me is taken, but Bruce Reisch. Most of you won't know the name, but he is the Team Leader of the grape breeding progam at Cornell and has developed and introduced many of the leading hybrids being grown today. We had some nice discussions all around the table. Little old me talking with all these giants in the eastern grape industry. I think Al would recognize Wayne Wilcox's name also. I won't bore youwith all the names, but it was quite an elite group in attendance. We had a wine tasting of about 30-40 wines and adjourned for the evening.

At the tasting and barbeque were also many of the leading amateur grape breeders. Most of them were staying at the same motel. We had an evening tasting party in one of the rooms and it was a great time with wonderful discussions.

The main event was held in the morning inside andwas a joint meeting ofthe USDA grape genetics team and The Cornell grape breeding program.
Located at the Cornell site is one of two USDA Germplasm Repositories where they have 1400 grape varieties kept growing of hybrid vines from all over the world. Chuck Simon talked about the Repository and resources to access the information about those varieties. We had several discussions on the Grape Genome Mapping work being done there also. Peter Cousins talked about the work being done in developing new rootstock varieties using the gene mapping to discover what genes are responsible for certain traits and then using the mapping to select parents for crosses. Very interesting work. There is a large network of scientists working there, alongside the Cornell staff in what seems like great cooperation.

The afternoon saw field trips to various Cornell vineyard sites. We started in the rain at the USDA Repository and Peter Cousins gave a nice guided
tour of varieties.
20080813_054922_100_4235_Medium.jpg

20080813_060020_100_4247_Medium.jpg

Next was a tour of Bruce Reisch's new variety selection plantings. They are developing very disease resistant varieties. They plant 4000 vine crosses every year in a no spray plot. The varieties are selected for their ability to resist any disease pressure. The ones that exhibit any disease are cut and pulled from the plot. Then the next year they are moved to another site and the process cointinues for a number of year. There are a few varieties that show great promise of resistance to almost all disease. Here is a picture of Dr Reisch in the first plot.
20080813_055446_100_4257_Medium.jpg

Test evaluation Plot
20080813_055723_100_4260_Medium.jpg

A red variety that has come most of the way through the program with no sprays of any kind- being grown more extensively to provide wood to send to a largergrouptest. We may be drinking wine from these some day....
20080813_060518_100_4272_Medium.jpg

I have many more pictures and so much more to share. It all made my head spin and was probably the most informative trip and Meeting I have ever had the pleasure of attending. Thanks to everyone there and especially Kevin for taking me along. I will add more when I get more time. I even have pictures of the Campbell's Early grapes NW grew - in the Germplasm Repository. They are delicious - I had to sample one since they were almost ripe.

If any of you get a chance to visit the Finger Lakes - do so. As Joan can tell you it is beatiful country and is covered with vineyards and wineries. I drove right by my brother's farm that lives near Geneva. I will have to get out and visit him next time.Edited by: appleman

Appleman, you sure thats not Seneca Lake? Thats where Geneva is, I was just there last weekend myself. Looks like it was a very interesting trip!
Edited by: Mike1973

That sounds like a great trip....all that information pounded into a few days...I'm sure your mind will be reeling for a long time to come.

Glad you made it there and got to meet all those great people...I am sure it will help your future ventures.

Mike1973 said:
Appleman, you sure thats not Seneca Lake? Thats where Geneva is, I was just there last weekend myself. Looks like it was a very interesting trip!

You are right Mike. Still tired from the trip and typed in the wrong name. What a dummy.
smiley36.gif

appleman said:
You are right Mike. Still tired from the trip and typed in the wrong name. What a dummy.
smiley36.gif

Lol, it happens to the best of us! It is a beautiful lake though isn't it? The whole "Seneca Wine Trail" is wonderful!

Wow..I know that was a treat for you appleman.....Thanks for sharing and look forward to more pictures

love the topic Rich...lots of juicy info here...my first question is about the 30-40 wines you tasted....can you share your wine tasting comments about some of the vaieties we here may be growing?

Glad you got to speak w Bruce Reish and Wayne Wilcox as well.

What did the amatuer breeders have to say? In as much detail as you can recall :)

Where in these picture will we see you?

did you get to taste any wine from the disease resistant varieties they are growing....has anyone else and what are the comments?

Lastly....always visit family like your brother....time is so short for us all and we never know what is at hand :)

i have more questions but this is a start

Al that is some list of questions.
First of all I am horrible at descriptions on wines, especially if I don't take notes. I can say I had some Noiret that was very good. That is encouraging. Lots of cherry in it. There were a few really nice Traminette demonstrating that it can be made all the way from Dry to a Desert Wine that was excellent. One Valvin Muscat was finished as a Desert Wine that was superb. Lots of others, but those were the ones that really shined.

They have only made very small quantities of the resistant varieties, but one in partiular is on the Fast Track. It has only been 15 years since the cross was made and it is being ramped up for wood production for more distributed testing. No there isn't any available yet for us to test.

The breeders were all discussing their choices of parent materials and crosses they have made. Mostly was tasting theri various wines they brought. Some weren't bad but some were really bad...

I would have had the person driving stop for a few minutes but I had already told my brother I probably wasn't going due to my son being in the emergency rooma day and a halfbefore we were due to go. We were running late going and coming, so we just didn't stop. He comes up here a lot since he is retired and I am not. I will stop in later this autumn-maybe when I go for a bottle run to Waterloo which is where he lives.

Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot with which you can bring here and share your expertise with.

well. that is some answer list... thank you....thank you for what you could provide

how is your son? is he agreeing yet to stay away from the stuff?

And where is the picture of you...you bets post it because when i see you in sept i plan on posting a picture...so you can beat me too it...otherwise i get editorial rights to which pictures i publish :)

Appleman...Cornell University is in Ithaca. You were at the Cornell Experiment Station in Geneva. That's why there werem't any cute coeds!
smiley4.gif

You should have called me! I'm 40 minutes away!

That's right Joan, but it is part of Cornell University system,just like The Willsboro Farm is also part of it. It's own little empire! Sorry I didn't make it- the schedule just wouldn't allow any visits this time. I always love visiting the area.

Sorry Al. I was the one taking pictures! You want to be careful taking pictures of me- I can't tell you how many camera lens's haven broken ovr the year. Folks snap a picture and you hear glass breaking!

Latest posts

Back