Transfering to secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arh13p

Reaction score
So my wife may go into labor any minute and the wine in my primary is at 1.04. Usually I wait until it is at 1.00? Is this too soon to transfer? I just don't want to wait and not be able to get to it.

So my wife may go into labor any minute and the wine in my primary is at 1.04. Usually I wait until it is at 1.00? Is this too soon to transfer? I just don't want to wait and not be able to get to it.

Tell her to keep her legs crossed until it gets to 1.000 :)

You can transfer now. The risk of moving it too early is that an active ferment can foam over in a carboy and make a mess. At 1.040, you shouldn't have that problem as long as your ferment temp is a little on the low side (in the 60's). If you are fermenting warmer, you might want to set the carboy in the tub, just to be safe. That way if it does push a little wine out the airlock, you can make your trip to the hospital without worrying.

I also wouldn't be topping up at this stage, leave some space at the top of the carboy for the bubbles to dissipate.

If its a white, transfer now, if its a red with a grape pack then snap the lid if you haven't already and add the airlock and let it go to dry on the skins.

No, this is a quad berry! It doesn't seem to be too aggressive so I might fill to top and keep an eye on the bubbles

Just transferred and she is rolling pretty good but the bubbles look good. I filled it to the top but I will watch closely and take some out if I need to.

NO NO NO !!!

Yoiu do not transfer when the wine is at 1.000

You transfer when it is needed:
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.nl/2011/04/pulpgisten-deel-7-pulpfermenting-part-7.html

Working with tight schedules is something that only works with kit wines. With fresh fruit you should follow that what the fruit indicates.

Luc

So do I understand this correctly that it was a good thing that I removed the fruit bag after 5 day?

Back