Topping off/up with water or wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
Looking for some threads/debates/discussions about the benefits of topping with either water or wine. I wish Jesus was here, he could do the water into wine for me...

Looking for some threads/debates/discussions about the benefits of topping with either water or wine. I wish Jesus was here, he could do the water into wine for me...

Did you try using the search engine?

My rule of thumb for RJS kits... No more than 500ML of water, where instructions say to use water, for topping off any of their 23L kits. Same wine from previously made kit would be the ideal top off.

I will try and top off with a similar wine if possible - mainly because the ph will not be drastically changed. I will never just add water as I know it will dilute the wine.

Yeah, I tried the search, but there were too many threads to look through. I'm looking at my cab and seeing how much head space I have. I'm looking at "head space" now instead of "topping off" and that's coming up with better results.

Last edited:
Okay. Looking at the instructions (I'm at work right now), it only says I need to top up if it'll be sitting in the carboy for over a month. The instructions, what a concept! I still won't look at a road map either. Thanks to all three of you for your help. Pete

I use a similar wine or add marbles to the carboy to top up here.

if it doesn't need much water you could always, add a bit of water with some sugar in if the yeast is still active.

if its been racked a similar wine would probably be the best bet.

Yep I use either similar wine or 100 proof vodka if I want to boost the alcohol a bit. Always worked out great either way.

Will

Back