Top up ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saylor

Reaction score
Hi ,
I just racked wine fir the second time. I racked the wine off the lees. So to be detailed, I racked from primary, to secondary, let wine clear, and racked again to another carboy. I lost a little bit of wine when I did this. It now sits just after the bend in the carboy. About 7 inches from the bottom of the bung. Can it bulk age like this or should I top it up again. Thank you and sorry for being a pain.

John

you need to top off again....get it within a inch are two from the bung.
I hate to say, but even if you top off with water, its better then letting that space of air get in the wine.

Is this for a kit wine? Most of the kits I've done say to top off with water. I do this first but no more than 500ML than it is up to 750ML of like wine and finally if needed marbles. My Better Bottles need a lot less topping off and if the instructions mention water for topping off it only needs a little. Glass 23L Italian carboys are a different animal with regards to topping off.

Buy a similar commercially made wine and top off with that. Topping off with water only dilutes.

Ok thank you very much for the help. I'm gonna opt for a similar wine instead of water

Latest posts

Back