Too much acid blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDesCotes

Reaction score
I did a really stupid thing while making my cider wine and measured it out over top of my bucket... Long story short it got a little over twice the dosage it should have.

It has been fermenting about a week and a half now and I have racked it to a carboy. I took a sip and WOWZA it is sour!

Is there anything I can do to tone down the sourness of it?

Or should I run out and buy another couple boxes of cider and use my current super sour batch to start it up...?

Please help!!!

Isn't cider supposed to be sour? What you suggested is what I'd do. If you like cider, why not increase the size of your batch?

Love cider, but this is now crazy sour... Plus my funds are low at the moment.

Is there anything I can add to take down the acid levels? (Alkaseltser tab, charcoal, etc?) and not ruin the taste of the wine?

The sour taste from the acidity will mellow out somewhat over time but probably not as much as you would like. I've been there and have had some success with adding a tablespoon of good quality vanilla extract and maybe up to 5 cups of sugar. Aiming for SG ~1.005. Ultimately, you can sit on this until the cash-ish loosens up, make another batch and blend them together.

How much acid blend were you supposed to add/think you added? I start with Aldi apple juice and add 2T malic acid.

BC

You do not say how much extra acid you added, your current PH or TA level, or the all over volume of cider.

Not knowing this, all I can suggest that you use some potassium bicarb to lower the acid and/or back sweeten with some sugar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back