Too long to for carboy aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druchri

Junior
Reaction score
I went to my local fermentation shop who sells bottles in preparation for bottling my 2011 Merlot which has been aging in my 6 gal carboy. He told me they don't carry bottles because it is not bottling season. He said that I shouldn't be bottling anything right now anyway. When I asked him how long I should age for he said 6-9 months.

Now, I'm not sure but I thought aging it for about a year (I got the grapes in October) seemed totally normal. Did I somehow miss the "bottling season?" And when would that time be? When do most people bottle? When I talked to people before a lot of them said that the harvest overlaps with finishing wine. I hope I'm not being weird or doing it overkill...

Also could someone point me in the direction of where to buy bottles (hopefully not with huge shipping charges)? Thanks.

Bottling season? My question for the shop owner would be: When is that?

Being that I make wine anytime I can acquire some juice or fruit, I make wine all year round.

One option is bulk age the wine in the carboy and store it in a cool area. Wine aged in larger vessels like carboys or barrels are less likely to be troubled with the effects of temperature variation of your storage area.

Another option... Bottle some and bulk the rest. In a couple of weeks I'll be finishing a 6 gallon kit. What I plan to do is bottling one gallon of it and then rack the remaining 5 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy for bulk aging. One gallon of wine is about five 750ml bottles. In 6-9 months I may decide to bottle all the remaining 5 gallons or as an option I can bottle just another gallon or two and then continue to bulk age the rest in 1 gallon jugs.

As far as getting bottles...

I don't know where you are located but if you know of people who drink wine like friends and family, ask them to start saving the bottles finish. I've also asked restaurant owners if they can save them for me. Once the bar owner let me dig through their recyclable trash for them. Before you go pick them up at a bar or restaurant, bring some heavy gloves. Some bar tenders break some bottles throwing them in the trash. Also you may want to check Craigslist. Perhaps you can barter some cases of bottles for something you've made.

In a short amount of time you should be able to amass at least 30 750ml bottles. Those thirty bottles would contain 6 gallons of wine.

Ouch, can't help there.sorry

I will tell you that you need to find another supplyer or buy enough bottles this year for next year. That way you are always a year ahead.

I've had good luck picking up used bottles from local wineries where there are tasting rooms. Perhaps stores that do tastings would have used bottles too.

Look on the internet for Distributer and wholesalers of glass bottles. Here in L.A. I found two as I'm sure you can in S.F. You'll have a minimum purchase, about 100.00 here but that buys 12 cases of clear clarets. Will Call and save shipping. Stock up or Share cost and bottles with other wine makers in your area.
Mike

There is no such thing as bottling season for home wine makers. I would think any LHBS, which caters to home wine making, would have bottles.

More Wine there in California should have bottles.
http://morewinemaking.com/
(I just looked and they do have bottles in stock.)

Also, I have heard the wineries themselves end up with used bottles, which they legally can't reuse. I have heard they sell them for pennies, although I can't substantiate this at all.

Tell you what...if I went to a supply shop and they told me they do not carry said bottles because I missed bottling season, I would find another supply shop because obviously this owner has NO clue. Unless he is not used to catering to non-commercial also (but then every commercial winery I have ever been too bottles year round dependent upon WHAT they are working on). As we all know, wine gets bottled 24/7/365.

As others have mentioned you may be able to source "used" bottles from area wineries (is that legal in CA?), friends/family/neighbors, or I am sure there are "glass bottle cleaning" centers in CA-or the such. But I have no doubt that you will be able to locate the bottles that you need so you can get your 2011 taken care of. Have fun!!

Latest posts

Back