Tomato Wine is carbonated

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramnuko

Reaction score
After bottling my stable tomato wine in June, I cracked a sampler and it bubbled like a great champagne. Still has the unique flavor of tomatoe wine but it is bubbly. The bubble sem to reduce a lot after opening but you can still feel them. Is this batch ruined?

Could you post your recipe and process? The more information you post, the better (more informed) the suggestions we can give you.

Did you back-sweeten? If yes, did you sorbate before? Did you degas before bottling?

Some tomatoes have a large amount of malic acid - is there the possibility of a spontaneous MLF?

sounds like it maybe still fermenting or you have a lot of co2, look at the rest of your bottles to see if you have any corks that are pushing out. What was your sg when you bottled, did you backsweeten? and if so, did you stabilized first?

Here is my journal entry on this wine.

8/14/12 started tomato wine, cut 22lbs of tomatoes, 5lbs of sugar, 12 ounces of raisins, 4 teaspoons yeast energizer, 1 campden tablet. 7 quarts water
8/15/12 punch down cap,
8/18/12 added yeast & two cups inverted sugar. sG 1.090
8/21/12 SG 1.000, racked off Lees moved to 5 gallon carboy.
8/26/12 SG .998 Racked off to clear. Added 1/8 th teaspoon of K-meta. Moved to basement.
9/18/2012 SG .998 racked to clear. Added 1/4 teaspoon of K-meta
10/20/12 racked to clear added 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta. SG 1.002
Added .750ml Chardonnay to 5 gallons
11/6/12 Added .25 tsp of pectic enzyme
11/13/12*Haze still present added*Chitosan and Kieselsol fining agent to clear
11/27/12*racked to clear finings, added 1/8 tsp k-meta
12/23/12 tastes good, different don't know what to expect
2/4/13. * *still tastes good**may sweeten a bit
6/9/2013 sampled, delicious, ready to bottle. SG 1.000
6/23/2013 bottled

With SG of 1.000 there is some sugar left or did you sweeten it before bottling? I don't see any sorbate added to stabilize it. Looks like the remaining sugar is fermenting in the bottle.

I did not sweeten nor sorbate the wine. The corks are not pushing out and the fizzing subsides after the bottle is open for awhile.

Here's another thought: what was the temperature of your storage spot during the bulk aging? Is it possible (it it was held pretty cold) that the wine held on to its CO2 for 11 months?

While it is possible the small amount to CO2 you have in your bottles was there from the beginning, I still think you probably had a bit of residual sugar left that fermented in the bottle. SG of 0.998 (reported earlier) and 1.000 at bottling suggests there was a touch left. If the wine tastes good I would not worry. It should not be enough to blow out your corks, just give it a little fizz as you have observed. Call it a Tomato Frizzante wine! ;)

Here's another thought: what was the temperature of your storage spot during the bulk aging? Is it possible (it it was held pretty cold) that the wine held on to its CO2 for 11 months?

Maybe as the cellar ranges 65-70 degrees with 40% humidity.

Latest posts

Back