To oak, or not to oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
Oak has been one of the areas that I have yet to dive into, as I am primarily a fruit winemaker. I am curious how many of you add oak to your fruit wines. If so, which ones?

Blackberry!!!!!!!!!! I use Hungarian oak cube for about 2 months. Once you have your blackberry this way you won't want it any other way.

Also, I am currently oarking a concord and plan on oaking a elderberry. Again, I will use Hungarian. My reason is the Hungarian imparts more of a vanilla flavor.

Nice to know. I have a can of Blackberry puree and some oak I picked up. Does it matter which oak? I think mine is American medium toasted. I have never oaked, but have been reading so much about it.

Last edited:
Julie said:
Blackberry!!!!!!!!!! I use Hungarian oak cube for about 2 months. Once you have your blackberry this way you won't want it any other way.

Also, I am currently oarking a concord and plan on oaking a elderberry. Again, I will use Hungarian. My reason is the Hungarian imparts more of a vanilla flavor.

Let us know how the oaked concord turns out. I have 5 gallons just waiting...... ;)

btom2004 said:
Nice to know. I have a can of Blackberry puree and some oak I picked up. Does it matter which oak? I think mine is American medium toasted. I have never oaked, but have been reading so much about it.

Under the barrel and oaking thread, there is a good stickie on the different oaks and their respecting toasts. Check it out.

Back