the good the bad or just ugly

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
Well everyone I know nothing about buying a press but found one on craigs list the guy wanted $150 but I offered him $ 100. After a week he emailed me back so I bit the bullet. Did i get a decent deal or junk?

160.jpg

163.jpg

A little cleaning up and it will do just fine. Mine looks to be about the same size except it's not a ratchet press. Picked mine up 2 years ago for $75, guy wanted $100.00. It works, I've pressed grapes two years and pears with it this year.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in shortly.

A little cleaning up and it will do just fine. Mine looks to be about the same size except it's not a ratchet press. Picked mine up 2 years ago for $75, guy wanted $100.00. It works, I've pressed grapes two years and pears with it this year.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in shortly.

How did you clean yours up? I was thinking maybe pressure washing it.

I didn't have a pressure washer just used the hose with warm water on a jet type stream. I had to reinforce the frame on mine as it is one where everything is attached to an overhead frame witht he crank on top. It suffices and it saved me a couple hundred dollars. I'll rinse it off then spray it down with kmeta prior to use.

That looks like a beauty! Here are a couple of recomendations..

1) I would NOT save the wood. Replace the staves with nice, clear oak. Finish the wood using a product called EZ-DO (food grade polyurethane).

2) replace the bolts holding the staves to the ring with nice, new stainless steel bolts (available at lowes or home depot).

3) I would start by pressure washing the metal components, then switch to a hand sander/grinder to smooth it all out and remove all rust.

4) If you REALLLY want something, have the pan, legs, and bands powder coated. This is rather expensive, but man what a finish!

All told, that press looks great. $100 is a great price provided that it is all there and is in working order. With a little effort, you could end up with a press far better than what is available today.

Harleydmn, I have a very similar press (looks a little larger than the one you have). The basket is about 14" in outside diameter. From the looks of yours, you have a bit of surface rust that will have to be removed with a wire brush or steel wool, then washed well with a good detergent (like OxyClean) and rinsed well. If you have a container that is large enough, I suggest making up a strong k-meta solution (3 T k-meta : 1 gallon of water) and soak all of the wood parts including the basket (may need to separate it into two parts), the disc and the extra blocks.

I remember Beraducci Brothers in "Miggys Port" and used to buy barrels from them. I am sure they are out of business now.

EDIT: I did not see JohnT's reply before I posted mine. If you want to restore the press, I totally agree with all of his recommendations, especially the new wood and powder coating the cast metal.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice antique press! Does the yoke/pressure screw assembly turn? Looks pretty rusted in that pic!

Yes it turns very nicely. Think I am going to clean it up first and see what I got. The wood all seems to be in good shape. Can I remove all the rust and just use a metal paint on it? Like rustoleum.

Yes it turns very nicely. Think I am going to clean it up first and see what I got. The wood all seems to be in good shape. Can I remove all the rust and just use a metal paint on it? Like rustoleum.

Harleydmn, I would be concerned about chipping and paint chips getting into the wine. Powder metal coating (a baked on finish like what is on bicycles) is a great way to go.

Thanks Rocky. That could get expensive, guess I can sand it down clean and sanitize real good. Got get it ready for my Chilean grapes coming soon.

I would not go with the existing wood. Lord knows what has been picked up by that wood over the years!

Changing the staves should not cost too much, but well worth the effort.

Back