that hot alcohol punch...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phador

Green
Reaction score
I have a wine I made from 4 cans Welch's white grape/peace per gallon(6 gallon), and a 49oz can of VH peach concentrate from may-2013. It has been bulk aging since then with the occasional racking/sulphiting. It is quite clear, and has a nice color. When I take a sip I get a decent peace flavor, but an overpowering alcohol punch. I know it's less than a year old, but I would think this wouldn't be so harsh by now. I haven't back-sweetened, and SG was 1.01. Will back-sweetening mellow this out? oak?

it tastes like it can be a very good table wine....was that a yes to sweetening, or oak? The idea of say an american oak that claims to offer a vanilla/caramel note might be nice....

What is your ABV? What yeast did you use? With an sg of 1.010, you may have a stuck fermentation. 1.010 is pretty sweet already, going any higher and you are taking a chance of having a syrupy tasting wine.

I missed the 1.010. I read it as 1.001. My bad. I do sweeten mine a bit more than that. Julie is right, we need your abv, or starting sg and current sg (got that), your wine might just be a tad on the hot side.

What I would do is mix up a batch of white grape peach (about a gallon) and add a little at a time.

That's about 11.7 abv so it's not too awful high. I'd add some juice ti tone the burn down

Last edited:
my starting was 1.1 it is currently right around 1.000 as I added a touch of sugar to start sweetening. I'm wondering if I can somehow kill the punch down a bit, and if oaking may do a bit to help.

my starting was 1.1 it is currently right around 1.000 as I added a touch of sugar to start sweetening. I'm wondering if I can somehow kill the punch down a bit, and if oaking may do a bit to help.

You cannot just add sugar to start sweetening, you have to wait intil fermentation is complete, then rack, add k-meta and sorbate, then backsweeten.

All you are doing is creating more of a hot alcohol taste.

Last edited:
Now you are telling me it's about 13.7 which is hot for this type.

I would add sugar to get it to 1.010 and then taste it. But that's me, I like a sweet wine.

Next batch hold the starting sg to about 1.090. It will finish better.

Julue is right, I assumed it had finished fermentation. My bad.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. The SG was 1.1. Currently it is 1.000 because I sweetened it up a bit from .998 or so, and I did sorbate back in September, which I should have also mentioned.

Ok, so it's finished fermentation. Then you do have about 13.7 which is hot for that. Mix up about 1/2 gallon white grape juice and dilute it, then taste it. Measure sg, then decide if it's sweet enough for you. If not then sweeten a little, (I'd go no more than 5 points at a time).

What I have found is for me, I add undiluted frozen concentrate (usually 3 cans for 6 gallons) after fermentation. I do this before sweetening. It boosts the flavor and sometimes sugar is not needed after this.

D 47 maxs out at 14%. The hot will mellow with age. It is hard as hell to hide alcohol hot. just think about how much sugar is added to a rum and coke and it is still there.

Latest posts

Back