Other Tequila Sunrise kit (Twisted Mist)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
welll.... here's the kit: Twisted Mist - Tequila Sunrise Limited Edition (March 2023)

Bought in April.. and just put it down today ... after only 1 hour of adding the yeast, I noticed the must is clearer at the top and it looks just like all the sediment is already on the bottom of the glass carboy before it's even begun to ferment!? .... what would cause this? ... I've never seen a kit do this before! :(

Not sure what’s going on, but better practice is to ferment in a bucket so you can stir a few times a day. Oxygen is key to getting yeast to thrive.
Hi Bob! Thanks for your response.. I'm going to attach a photo of what happened to the wine 2 hours after I put it down.. I've done primary fermentation many times now in a carboy with no issue, I don't believe that's the problem here.

I'm not sure why it's done this... it looks disgusting! This morning I stirred it all up, added some yeast nutrient and a bit of super-yeast to see if I can get it fermenting or somehow save this sad looking slop!!!

Attachments

• sad slop.JPG
    sad slop.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
  • sadslop2.JPG
    sadslop2.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
Wow! I've only made a few of those type kits but never have I seen anything resembling that. That looks pretty chunky for a kit wine.

Have been making kits with bentonite over a number of years but have never seen anything like this tbh

and if it is the bentonite, why does it look so FURRY? ... LOL
Could you spell it all out for me?

Opened the kit, everything looked normal? Sanitizer used? You added what to primary in what order. when solids formed. Where is your SG at, is it fermenting?

Honestly it looks raisins in the bottom of the carboy. It should be murky with the yeast having just been added. I don't imagine you added your clearing agents? I just can't imagine what would make it clump, but weirder yet is the clearing.

As a side note you are on the warm side of the spectrum and there is no need for a brew belt this time of year. I doubt that is a contributing factor, just might affect flavor. I also agree that the carboy has nothing to do with this issue, but in the future using a bucket can remove variables. There aren't too many here that don't start fermentation in an open bucket and stir to incorporate oxygen. It just offers the yeast a healthy environment and the likelihood of better flavor.

Could you spell it all out for me?

Opened the kit, everything looked normal? Sanitizer used? You added what to primary in what order. when solids formed. Where is your SG at, is it fermenting?

Honestly it looks raisins in the bottom of the carboy. It should be murky with the yeast having just been added. I don't imagine you added your clearing agents? I just can't imagine what would make it clump, but weirder yet is the clearing.

As a side note you are on the warm side of the spectrum and there is no need for a brew belt this time of year. I doubt that is a contributing factor, just might affect flavor. I also agree that the carboy has nothing to do with this issue, but in the future using a bucket can remove variables. There aren't too many here that don't start fermentation in an open bucket and stir to incorporate oxygen. It just offers the yeast a healthy environment and the likelihood of better flavor.
Hiya! -- yes did everything in proper order -- bentonite with warm water - then juice bag -- then added the spring water... stirred it all up and threw yeast on top. within 2 hours that's what the must looked like -- very weird chunky fuzzy looking .... I've made many carboys of wine in this basement now (that's why the heat belt is on there - we have AC and a cold bsmt but I did loosen the belt and let it drop so it's not getting so warm altho that has never been a problem with my other kits here).... No I didn't add any clearing agents... it really is weird about how it did this as you said...

So after day 2 of trying to stir it all up to get it going, I put some yeast nutrient and then some super-yeast on the top and VOILA! - This morning the must looks normal -- murky with lots of fermentation action.... I will have to wait until end of production to see if this is going to taste alright or if it's full of some kinda wild yeast or fungus!!?? I sanitize everything.. yes.. just weird.. *scratches head

So another yeast with added nutrient is chugging along just fine... Sorry, no help here, I don't have a clue!

It's the clumping that has me stumped. Doing nothing would make sense, dead yeast. Clumping and dropping out of suspension? WTF? If you have another carboy I would probably rack off the funky bits, but that's all I've got.

So another yeast with added nutrient is chugging along just fine... Sorry, no help here, I don't have a clue!

It's the clumping that has me stumped. Doing nothing would make sense, dead yeast. Clumping and dropping out of suspension? WTF? If you have another carboy I would probably rack off the funky bits, but that's all I've got.
yeah it's bizarre! -- Can't really rack it off b/c I stirred it all up after adding the yeast nutrient and then added the super-yeast ... so now it all seems to be mixed together again (no longer clear) .. nice cloudy must ..

Last edited:
Back