Taking notes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARRENEL

Reaction score
I know whenever you make a new batch and take readings, you need to write them down and keep them handy. Could any of you screenshot / post your notes from beginning to end of a batch so I could see an example? I think I know what i need to write down but i like visual aides. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Don't have an example, but I can give you what is important at least to me.

Wine type and source.
Yeast type utilized.
Starting date.
Starting SG.
Temperature.
List any additives added and on what date.
Date secondary started.
SG at start of secondary.
Final SG.
Date racked to clear.
Clearing agents added and date.
Date degassed.
Stabilizing chemicals added and date.
Each individual racking.
Any other chemicals or back sweetener added and the date.
Average temperature of wine during any bulk aging.
Date bottled.

I agree with Robie and to add to that what I think most do, or at least I do is use tags on my bucket or carboy. I write everything I do to the batch on them. I get mine at a office supply store. I forget what they are called. but they are yellow and have a string or wire on them so you can tie them on your batch. This way you will always know what is what if you have multiple batches going.

I use a notebook and write down what i do, what i add, what my measurements were, etc for that date.

I just tag my carboy with the kind of wine it is - refer to my notes i made.

While Robie's list is very good, it stopped at bottling. I would include

# of bottles and size of bottles (eg 28*750ml, and 3*375ml)
labels used (if any)
shrinks used (if any)

Basically anything & everything that you do to/with the wine should be written down. If the recipe is not obvious from "wine type and source", then it should be written down. Specific gravity & temperature readings should be noted at significant points (or more often).

Steve

While Robie's list is very good, it stopped at bottling. I would include

# of bottles and size of bottles (eg 28*750ml, and 3*375ml)
labels used (if any)
shrinks used (if any)

Basically anything & everything that you do to/with the wine should be written down. If the recipe is not obvious from "wine type and source", then it should be written down. Specific gravity & temperature readings should be noted at significant points (or more often).

Steve

I like to do that too. That way i know for that vintage how many #'s i harvested came out to x amount of bottles.

This is all great info so far, thanks. I would have never thought about putting down how many bottles I used and what type, but I will be :). I also thought about putting a post-it type sheet on the carboy with basic info but right now it is only one batch at a time until I could afford more carboys.

Could someone do a scan of their notes from one of the batches (doesnt matter what batch) they have done just so I could see what you have done. Thanks again

This is all great info so far, thanks. I would have never thought about putting down how many bottles I used and what type, but I will be :). I also thought about putting a post-it type sheet on the carboy with basic info but right now it is only one batch at a time until I could afford more carboys.

Could someone do a scan of their notes from one of the batches (doesnt matter what batch) they have done just so I could see what you have done. Thanks again

Attached is a pdf file of the spreadsheet I'm using. I'm trying to keep detailed notes so I can review before starting my next batch. I missed the type of yeast, but I think I've captured everything else (so far). I'll be modifying this as I get through the next parts of the process, up to bottling.

View attachment WineNotes.pdf

Attached is a pdf file of the spreadsheet I'm using. I'm trying to keep detailed notes so I can review before starting my next batch. I missed the type of yeast, but I think I've captured everything else (so far). I'll be modifying this as I get through the next parts of the process, up to bottling.
KenS...

Nicely done. I see no mention of the oak presumably included with this kit.

Steve

in addition to most of what has been written here, i would add a line at the end that asked myself these questions:

Were you happy w the result? If not why?
What would you do differently next year? And why.

Keeping records of your tastings at regular intervals is helpful info as well to see how the wine progresses and reaches it potential.

Holy smokes. I gotta get better. I keep tags on every carboy with what I did when and sg readings. I also try to do a spread sheet but it seems like after I get started I get lax in finishing it.

I keep a 2 inch roll of masking tape on the wine bench. Put a long strip of it on the carboy when it get racked to secondary. I keep a sharpie on the bench also. Whenever I do anything to the wine in the secondary, it gets written on the tape. I keep a pretty good log when starting the wines, after they are in the secondary, I have a hard time transfering everything from the tape to the log. Most of the wines end pretty much the same way, and I don't worry about it too much unless I do something different, then it gets into the log. Arne.

Back