Sweeten First or Bulk Age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyguy958

Junior
Reaction score
I've got 15 gallons of muscadine wine, made with Jack Keller's recipe, in the finishing stages. I have not stabilized it yet and I'd like to back sweeten it. I also and going to bulk age for about 6 month before bottling.

In what order do I need to (stabilize, bulk age and back sweeten)?

I add K-meta after fermentation, then bulk age 6-12 mo. At last racking 3 mo. before bottling, I add sorbate & simple sugar to taste or S.G. for certain repeat wines. At last racking/bottling, I'll retaste just to be sure I got it right. [any excuse to sample] Roy

in the backsweetening stage, you have to be certain to add sorbate plus k-meta at the same time, because it the proper dosage combination of the two that prevents refermentation when the sugar is reintroduced. I've seen bottles that went thru the process that FTC described start fermenting in the bottle....months after bottling. When the winemaker's log were checked, it was discovered they forgot to add the k-meta with the sorbate.

Latest posts

Back