sweet vs sour cherry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you don't have that site address, I can not find it anywhere, I thought i'd saved it to my favorites, but I goofed again. and I thought it was on this thread but I cant find it, way to many semi-statins :sl
richard

y

Is it the King Orchards site your asking about ?

sorry for taking so long to get back on here, i'm in the hospital, they took off 1/2 of my 1 remaining foot. thank you ' I do ask questions, although I read on here a lot, I too wish I was even slightly as smart as a lot of these people,
richard::

No I have not. I will check them out, I do a lot of kits and fruits. I too want to try the grape juice in pails and grapes also but I don't have connections to them. I have done local grapes but not the ones I love like Merlot, Cab. sav., and such.
I just posted a new post or thread on the forum, called "what would you do If you were me" check it out and give me a answer you might win a little prize. lol.. your right I like everyone on this forum it is fun and very informative. Wish I was as smart as some of these people.

Take care of yourself an holler any time.

Preciate,cha.lol

sorry for taking so long to get back on here, i'm in the hospital, they took off 1/2 of my 1 remaining foot. thank you ' I do ask questions, although I read on here a lot, I too wish I was even slightly as smart as a lot of these people,
richard::

No worries! Sorry to hear about your foot. I thought something had happened to you. Take care of yourself, I'll pray for your healing. If I can help give me a yell!!

I don't keep real detailed notes anymore, but here is what I used for the cherry mead.
I usually use about 5 lbs. cherries per gal. this time:
29 lbs pie cherries This was started in March so cherries have been in the freezer since June. More cherries give more flavor. I pit the cherries after I pick them. Don't get all the pits, but there is a bitter taste that you get with the pits.It does seem to go away with time, tho. Also, I put fruit in a ferment bag. Much easier to remove when done fermenting it.
K- meta and wait 12 hrs or so before pitching yeast.
6 gal. water
2 1/2 tsp. bentonite sprinkled in after first 3 gal. water.
1 gal. honey.
Added enough sugar to bring s.g. up to 1.090 or so.
Add tannin if you like, I didn't this time and usually don't with cherry.
pitched yeast, think I used cotes de blanc- Red star.
Put in 1/2 the nutrient and yeast energizer after the ferment takes off. Nutrient and energizer according to label on pkg.
Add the other half when s.g. was down to 1.060
This was fermented pretty cool, my basement temp. was only 55 degrees.
No problem if it is warmer, If it was later in the season, the temp. will be up in the 70's and that is where I will ferment.
The rest of it is like I do with most of my wines
Pull the fruit bag about 1.005 or so. Maybe squeeze it a bit.
I usually let them ferment dry in the primary bucket.
Rack to carboy
Let it sit for a while til it drops the gross lees and starts clearing a bit. Maybe a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of months.
Rack and k-meta, let it sit with an airlock.
More lees? rack after a while, weeks or months, more k-meta after 3 months or so
Eventually it falls totally clear, if not you can hit it with finings to force it to clear.
I usually just let it clear on its own. Over the winter here they don't clear very good with my cold basement, but in the spring when it warms up they tend to degass and clear pretty fast.
Don't forget to taste test a bit along the way.
It will probably need some sweetening, I just sweeten it to taste, don't forget to stabalize it along the way if you sweeten it before bottling. I usually stabalize it, let it sit for a while, sweeten and let it sit to make sure it doesn't take off again, then bottle.
Good luck with it, any questions, just whistle. I'll try and help. Arne.

forgot the pectic enzime. Put it in 12 hours after the origonal dose of k-meta, wait about a day or so and pitch the yeast. Helps in clearing.
Hoping for some guidance here: You say 5 lb cherries per gallon of wine. I'm starting with straight pie cherry juice, and didn't weigh the fruit. With the raw juice, how much can I dilute it with water? I'm only looking for a 1 gal batch at this point. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Hoping for some guidance here: You say 5 lb cherries per gallon of wine. I'm starting with straight pie cherry juice, and didn't weigh the fruit. With the raw juice, how much can I dilute it with water? I'm only looking for a 1 gal batch at this point. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

THink I would try a quart, mix it with water to the gal. and taste it. If it has a strong cherry flavor, go for it. If not, add some more juice til it has a nice cherry taste. Arne.

deer killed all my cherry trees, they were just getting baring age, I got enough from that site that I got11 gallon aging,
Dawg

Richard,

Lol. Those pies don't last long around me. I thought I sent you a message, I must of done something wrong on this computer. I was wondering if you were going to try those cherries on that site, or were you going to pick the cherries fresh?

Latest posts

Back