RJ Spagnols Sur lie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Questions, I have a Aussi sauv Blanc in secondary, it`s sitting at .994 on the lees and zest from a grapefruit and orange, first question is it ok to do this with the zest still in it , and is it counter productive doing these method...losing the fruitiness and gaining the buttery taste?

Questions, I have a Aussi sauv Blanc in secondary, it`s sitting at .994 on the lees and zest from a grapefruit and orange, first question is it ok to do this with the zest still in it , and is it counter productive doing these method...losing the fruitiness and gaining the buttery taste?

Doable, yes. I've never added zest to wine, but I assume you didn't add so much that you could 'overzest' it. Ultimately, it depends on what you're looking for in the final product, as sur lie/battonage will change the profile to a degree. New Zealand SB is apparently not a great candidate for sur lie/battonage because the herbal/grassy notes could become quite dominant. I assume you want a more fruit-pronounced SB because you added the zest.

Latest posts

Back