Super Kleen - Sparkolloid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I've read that if one doesn't work, try the other one. Question is, can you add either one too many times?

Semper Fi

Egg whites

Have been reputed to clarify as well.
I believe Sirs has had some cursory experience with this as well.
Not sure about too often, my thoughts are the ore stuff equals
Headache?
Curious, is this mango or some exotic or grape.
I think time settles a lot of suspended matter in some mediums.
I am not an experienced wine maker but find these thread subjects of great interest.

It's Pear and I have added sparkolloid to it two times and still won't clear. I've made 2 or 3 other batches of pear and they cleared good. I am wondering if I could add another dose of sparkolloid to it.

Semper Fi

Bud,
I think you could add more sparkaloid without any problems, but after 2 tries, I doubt it would help. You can try the superkleer, but did you remember to add the pectic enzime when you made the wine? Think pear has pretty high pectin and that could give you a haze. Is it completely degassed? If not that will keep some solids in suspension. And make sure it is warm enough when degassing. Maybe a little bentonite will take it out also. In the same breath, I had a batch of strawberry, tried spark. and superkleer. Degassed, didn't think to try the pectin or bentonite. Finally bottled it and a couple days later all the sediment fell out. Quit worrying about it, shake every bottle a little, I don't see much sediment in the wine and drink it. Tastes good, and if I drink it myself, doesn't really matter if it has a little sediment. Got a new batch started, will make sure this is clear before bottling. Going to put the f-pac in early this time. That is where the sediment came from. But I let it sit for almost a year and it still had that sediment. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks for the reply. I did add pectic enzyme in the must. When I de-gassed I got very little CO2 (if any). I've been reading a lot about using bentonite and how to use it. No two directions are the same, some say to mix it in warm water and dump it in, another says boil it and put it in a blender for a couple of minutes and let it set for 24 hours. How have you used it?

Thanks Arne

Semper Fi

Actually I havn't used it yet. Just passin on what I have read here. I have some, havn't used it yet. Think I would try very hot or boiling water and mix it in. Don't think Kathy would appreciate me using her blender for mixing dirt and water. lol. Mosts posts say you will have some solids left after mixing. Pour the mixed part off and leave the solids. Good luck with it, Arne.

Actually you can try racking it again. Guess that is what made my strawberry clear when I bottled it. I still suspect that even after almost a year there was some gas left in it. Arne.

I had a strawberry that wouldnt clear. Add more pectic enzyme to it and stir well. Mine cleared in 2 days after that.

Will rack it again today and see if I get any CO2. If no CO2 how much Pectic Enzyme do you add, same as in the primary must?

Thanks for all the help

Semper Fi

Yes, I add as per directions. If you read about super kleer it says it wont clear pectic haze. I'm now a firm believer that this is true :d

Arne, I don't have any settlement in the bottom, wine just won't clear. Do you think racking it again will still help?

Semper Fi

Arne, I don't have any settlement in the bottom, wine just won't clear. Do you think racking it again will still help?

Semper Fi

Maybe, I am just going on after bottling the strawberry fell clear in just a few days. I had degassed it, but bottling probably degassed it a little more and that is why it cleared. Don't know for sure, just another trick to try. Good luck, Arne.

Latest posts

Back