Other Summer heat vs. kit/yeast/juice shipping.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winotut

Reaction score
How many of you do your on-line kit purchasing in such a way as to avoid the summer heat?

I purchase my hops and yeast for the year in late spring before it gets hot. The idea of them sitting in non-air conditioned terminals, in hot trucks and then finally on a hot delivery van all day before being placed on my hot front porch upon delivery. Cannot be good for yeast or hops, or in my questions case here, cannot be good for yeast or juice. Would you agree?

So do any of you NOT purchase kits, yeast or juice online in summer or early fall for that reason? Then again, how do we know when they were shipped from manufacturer to on-line supplier, guess we can never be sure...

The LBS has items in an air conditioned store, but who knows how the items were treated before arriving there, or when the items got there. Micky mouse drinks wine also. (Just to see if you are actually reading this post before you reply).

What say (do) you?

I have only done two kits as I make most of my wine from recipes or my own concoctions.
With that said, I don't get overly worried about the heat, mostly due to the reasons you brought up. I have no idea where it's been sitting or how it was transported in the first place.
Both of my kits were done in the late summer/early fall(as far as arriving at my house).
I would be more concerned about ordering one in the winter with our temps. up here, and having it freeze.

How many of you do your on-line kit purchasing in such a way as to avoid the summer heat?

I purchase my hops and yeast for the year in late spring before it gets hot. The idea of them sitting in non-air conditioned terminals, in hot trucks and then finally on a hot delivery van all day before being placed on my hot front porch upon delivery. Cannot be good for yeast or hops, or in my questions case here, cannot be good for yeast or juice. Would you agree?

So do any of you NOT purchase kits, yeast or juice online in summer or early fall for that reason? Then again, how do we know when they were shipped from manufacturer to on-line supplier, guess we can never be sure...

The LBS has items in an air conditioned store, but who knows how the items were treated before arriving there, or when the items got there. Micky mouse drinks wine also. (Just to see if you are actually reading this post before you reply).

What say (do) you?

Well, I do make wine from kits. Considering that the juice was concentrated, I am not too worried about ambient temperatures. Hope I am not wrong!

Oh, and:
corkscrew-and-bottle-stopper.jpg

I think this is less of a concern than it might initially seem - other than yeast, the other stuff can handle some brief heat. Kits are flash-pasteurized to make them shelf-stable, so a little more heat for a few days shouldn't make much difference. Fresh and frozen juice is usually shipped in milder seasons anyway - late spring and fall typically. And yeast can be ordered in cooler seasons and kept in your own a/c for several months - unless you are making a lot of different wines, ordering 4-5 extra packets in the fall or winter to use the next summer shouldn't crimp your budget or storage too much.

I make wine from kits in West Georgia. It's going to be 97* today. If you are worried about the summer heat in Omaha just don't order kits during that 10 day period :)

I make wine from kits in West Georgia. It's going to be 97* today. If you are worried about the summer heat in Omaha just don't order kits during that 10 day period :)

Regardless of Omaha's brevity for summer temps the items are exposed to higher summer temps elsewhere while shipped from packager to seller and then from seller to customer...

I know, I know, it was tongue in cheek GaDawg. Not sure why I responded to that particular post when there was an attempt or two at real information and the worst part is that I just wasted these past two minutes and I'll never get them back. :wy

Edit: Not meant in any meanness, but just having fun. Thanks for all your answers! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back